Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: best method(s) for performing a package removal

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    15

    best method(s) for performing a package removal

    Hello,

    I want to know if someone can recommend a "best" method for removing apps off the system. It seems that whenever I remove and app using apt-get under V3.3 the system becomes too smart and performs upgrades on apps I don't want it to perform upgrades. This is causing the system to get unnecessarily large. Also, it adds some apps I don't want. I have used

    apt-get remove with no-upgrade option, but if something is being removed and is a dependency for something else, it doesn't remove it. I have found out that if I don't update resolv.conf on a "new remastered" area, then I can forefully get removals to work, but chancing problems later. I want to know if I can use

    apt-get remove

    to perform the removals without upgrading any apps.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Metzelplik

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Independence, MO
    Posts
    7

    upgrade during apt-get remove <pkg>

    I noticed this too when I started to remaster and strip Knoppix 3.4 (05/04/2004) last night. The stuff that upgraded wasn't nearly as big as what I was removing. If I saw anything that looked like it might mess up the system then I just didn't remove the pkg that caused the upgrade. Usually it was from "apt-get remove <multiple pkgs>".

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Independence, MO
    Posts
    7

    upgrade during apt-get remove <pkg>

    I noticed this too when I started to remaster and strip Knoppix 3.4 (05/04/2004) last night. The stuff that upgraded wasn't nearly as big as what I was removing. If I saw anything that looked like it might mess up the system then I just didn't remove the pkg that caused the upgrade. Usually it was from "apt-get remove <multiple pkgs>".

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    Personally, I haven't noticed apt-get trying to upgrade other stuff when I was removing things. But I have been working with 3.4 mainly, too.

    Anyway, there's always dpkg. The syntax can be tricky compared to apt-get, but it won't try to download stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. floppyconfig best method?
    By Sw@ppa in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 12:40 PM
  2. Virus Removal?
    By HitmanKB in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 03:37 AM
  3. Package Removal questions
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 07:39 AM
  4. Making a script for package removal but DPKG-QUERY ?
    By kayl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 05:23 AM
  5. Quick Package Removal
    By William_Olbrys in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00