Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A few questions RE: Distro Stability

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over the Keyboard Oh... Somewhere in New York
    Posts
    3

    A few questions RE: Distro Stability

    Hi, I'm new, and I love Linux. There is only one reasons I still don't have a Linux HD Install...

    I can't figure out which distro to choose!

    I'm liking Slackware after testing out the Slax live cd version of it. Even if I don't install, Slax will be my live cd of choice, as it's small <200mb and comes with just enough stuff...

    Fedora Core 2 is fast, and pretty good, but it reminds me too much of windows...

    Debian- Which I know knoppix is based off of.

    I had problems with Knoppix 3.4 RE stability, and lockups, and some software refused to run. I had none of that with Knoppix 3.3. Now I see 3.6 is out. Downloading it is just ridiculous, as I'd probably get a better transfer rate with a 56k modem than my cable one... So question 1 is, is there another way of getting it, at a reasonable download speed?

    2. is, Which build of Debian is Knoppix based on? Woody, the latest, testing one, or the unstable one?

    3. Is it better to just install Knoppix, or a fresh Debian?

    4. Is 3.6 significantly better than 3.4?

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Please use specific topics like 'distro advice: stabiliy'.

    Nearly everybody has a few questions...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over the Keyboard Oh... Somewhere in New York
    Posts
    3
    oh, right... *Edit*

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: A few questions RE: Distro Stability

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbfalcon
    Hi, I'm new, and I love Linux. There is only one reasons I still don't have a Linux HD Install...

    I can't figure out which distro to choose!

    I'm liking Slackware after testing out the Slax live cd version of it. Even if I don't install, Slax will be my live cd of choice, as it's small <200mb and comes with just enough stuff...

    Fedora Core 2 is fast, and pretty good, but it reminds me too much of windows...

    Debian- Which I know knoppix is based off of.

    I had problems with Knoppix 3.4 RE stability, and lockups, and some software refused to run. I had none of that with Knoppix 3.3. Now I see 3.6 is out. Downloading it is just ridiculous, as I'd probably get a better transfer rate with a 56k modem than my cable one... So question 1 is, is there another way of getting it, at a reasonable download speed?

    2. is, Which build of Debian is Knoppix based on? Woody, the latest, testing one, or the unstable one?

    3. Is it better to just install Knoppix, or a fresh Debian?

    4. Is 3.6 significantly better than 3.4?

    Thanks for your help!
    1. You try a bunch, you choose what you like. There's really no other way. I've not noticed 3.4 being any less stable than 3.3. As for downloads, if you can find a friend.... or maybe try the bookstore. Magazines like Linux Format include disks, I think they had Knoppix on a recent issue. Or Google for a seller.

    2. Knoppix is a mix of testing & unstable

    3. Knoppix is a LOT easier to install & most of the setups are already done. Most hardware is already supported.

    4. Don't know, haven't got it yet & probably won't try it until the inevitable 'bug fix' release.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over the Keyboard Oh... Somewhere in New York
    Posts
    3
    Ok, I found a good server, Downloaded it, and I'll have to say I'm impressed. It is much more stable than previous versions. This time, all of the applications work.

Similar Threads

  1. Do i need a new distro?
    By sybariten in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:42 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:09 AM
  3. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
  4. really small distro, backup distro
    By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Add newest NTFS support (more stability)
    By ktheking in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99