-
Absolute Linux newbie cannot get Knoppix to even TRY to boot
As stated, I am a total linux newbie. I watched the first episode of The Broken, and want to run airsnort so that I can use the wireless network at myschool without the administration installing their software on my computer. Essentially their software has wrecked all of my friends' laptops, so I'm trying to avoid that, but I need Linux to do so.
I am using a Dell 9100 desktop replacement, 3.2 GHz Pentium IV, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, 128 MB Radeon 9700 Mobility. I recently updated my Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack #2. so there's that.
Anyway, I burned knoppix 3.4 to a CD-R. I insert the disc into my CD-RW/DVD drive, and restart my computer. I enter the BIOS menu to do a one-time boot and choose the disc drive.....and it boots into Windows as normal.
I've tried permanently reordering the boot order of the drives. I've tried booting from an external disc drive. I've tried loading the image off of an external hard drive. I've tried the "trick" of booting my laptop when it is running only on battery power. I've tried turning the computer entirely off or doing a windows restart. Nothing works. It always just boots into Windows XP.
What am I doing wrong? I can't find anyone with a similar situation on the forum, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize I am probably missing something obvious, but it is something I cannot figure out. I've burned the disc image twice just to ensure it was not a bad burn. I am at a loss.
Someone please help me out!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Absolute Linux newbie cannot get Knoppix to even TRY to

Originally Posted by
trav618
Anyway, I burned knoppix 3.4 to a CD-R.
You have experienced the classic symptom of burning the downloaded iso to disk as a file. That won't work.
I don't have time right now to give you the long answer, and if you search for it you can find it yourself, but if your Windows PC has a burning utility such as Nero or EZ CD Creator, you should be able to simply double-click the ISO file, and it will guide you the rest of the way. It's the file system that you're burning to CD, not the ISO file itself.
jd
-
Most burning progs have an option to "Burn a CD Image" onto a disc or something. Use that, don't burn the actual .iso file to the CD, as if you were backing up data
-
I have a program that should do that. Thanks. I knew it was going to be obvious....
-
I got it, thanks a lot. Now I just need to get drivers and figure out how to get airsnort to run...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
trav618
I have a program that should do that. Thanks. I knew it was going to be obvious....
No problem. Glad to help. It's a common thing, and I did a little clean-up in the WIKI. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/DownloadingHowTo
jd
Similar Threads
-
By tofergregg in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:31 AM
-
By Shaba1 in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
-
By Jazz1 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-23-2004, 11:25 PM
-
By translator in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 08:29 PM
-
By AndrewVDP in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-23-2003, 04:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC
$115.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50