Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix in a Virtual PC virtual machine hosted under Win XP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix in a Virtual PC virtual machine hosted under Win XP

    Anybody tried it yet?

    I'm thinking about downloading the .iso and trying if I don't hear that it's impossible.

    Thanks for any replies

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well it's certainly possible to boot a knoppix.iso w/ vmware if that's what you're asking.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    OK, except that this is not VMWare but a product that MS bought from Connectix. It has a pretty good rep as a virtual machine facility in general, but I wondered if anybody had specific experience with it and Knoppix.

    If not, guess I will when I get time.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    I guess I don't get the point. I have the microsoft virtual pc software. The whole point is to use other oses with the thing. So are you saying you are distrustfull of ms, that you don't think it will let you load a non windows os? ms may be a lot of things but they aren't stupid. They make things that work with other platforms. internet explorer and office are made in a mac version. It is true that ms doesn't like linux creeping up on their maket share but that doesn't mean they won't try to profit from what they can't control. One thing is for sure their virtual pc software integrates well into windows and that is a plus over vm ware. Not to knock vmware but it's like netscape. it runs good and is good software but because windows is closed source the ms product is more likely to run better on the system. Install it and boot the cd and get on with it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I don't remember them specifically trying knoppix, but there was a comparison between vm-ware an virtPC recently on ArsTechnica.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    Thanks baldyeti, I may stand corrected maybe ms has the software to sell and knows that it won't work with linux. That way the unsuspecting ms user who flirts with the idea of trying linux and has heard the horror of setting it up and then tries it in virtual pc can't get it working and so they just give up and stick with windows. The worst that can happen is that windows crashes, that's not new to windows users.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    I don't remember them specifically trying knoppix, but there was a comparison between vm-ware an virtPC recently on ArsTechnica.
    Interesting article. Of course I wouldn't buy virtualpc because I don't even have a M$ OS to run it on. VMware boots windows just fine on my Linux boxen so if ever I did need windows (although that's never happend) that's the way I would go.

    My boss had virtualpc on her Mac to boot win2k and it was.....well kinda sucky in that it simply didn't work very well. Maybe user error but I thought even an idiot could set up a Mac. lol

    They site the cost of vmware as being higher than virtualpc. Presumably that does not include the cost of the M$ OS too??

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    You can even do that for free with qemu.

    http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

Similar Threads

  1. Using knoppix with a virtual machine like dsl, possible?
    By B@se in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
  2. Virtual machine program windows free
    By adamherb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 05:00 AM
  3. Virtual Machine Program Live!
    By adamherb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 03:22 AM
  4. knoppix & virtual pc 6
    By ndv2l in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 04:57 AM
  5. Knoppix on Virtual PC (Mac)
    By orang55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N picture

SK hynix PC801 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4 Internal SSD HFS512GDE9X081N

$90.00



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray picture

fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray

$120.00