Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: knoppix3.6/3.4: "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: knoppix3.6/3.4: "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, so

    Quote Originally Posted by ennemm

    Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit

    Moin!
    I have had exactly the same error-message for several times, until i got a new CD-ROM-Drive....
    Now it works fine.
    Olaf

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I never heard of a knoppix-filesystem before.
    I know ext3, reiserfs, xfs, ext2, vfat, fat, ... but didn't knew there is knoppix-fs too

    I guess at least the errormessage could be improved.

    I don't understand, how often people redownload, without checking, if this is neccessary at all, and how often they reburn, without knowing that the first burn failed.

    When I download something, every error which occured was leading to a not-downloaded file, but never (never, never) skipped only few bits or wrote wrong ones.
    I'm not sure, but I guess the internet-protocols check for errors themself.

    Perhaps cheat-codes (like 'failsafe') help more than repeating downloads.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Not sure about knoppix 3.6 which I haven't tried yet, but due to space constraints, more and more live CD's are moving away from diskette emulation. Some broken BIOSes cannot boot that newer cd format. Try smart boot manager. Boot from the diskette, then tell it to proceed with the CD.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6

    Re: knoppix3.6/3.4: "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, so

    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf
    Quote Originally Posted by ennemm

    Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit

    Moin!
    I have had exactly the same error-message for several times, until i got a new CD-ROM-Drive....
    Now it works fine.
    Olaf
    Very interesting. As I updated the original post, knoppix3.6 works on Win2000 machine at work but not my home WinXP machine that I really want to run it on.

    As to the CD-ROM drive, I have 2 CDRW drives, and I burn from one (usually, as it has higher speed writing capacity, though I burn at lower speed to ensure proper burning), but I boot up from my other CDRW on same machine at home. This is because only the CD placed in 2nd (slightly slower) CDRW drive is used automatically when I boot from CD.

    Since my bootable knoppix3.6 CD itself is okey, I need to try switching CDRW drives or better yet, find a way to boor from other CDRW (the one that burns the CD). I have not ever had problems accessing content burned on one CDRW from another before.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1
    I had the same error & simply moved the CD to a different drive an dit booted fine, it seems it might mean either it didn't like my plextor drive or it maybe has something to do with the CDroms being set as slave or master?? Maybe it can't find what it needs on a slave drive?? Anyhow its not the ISO I burned.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    "Can't find KNOPPIX file system, sorry.", 2.6 Kern

    I downloaded the 3.6 release, and verified it with md5sum. If I boot the 2.6 kernel with dma, then I get the "Can't find..." message. If I boot with nodma, then the kernel freezes trying to access my Plextor CDRW drive. If I boot 2.4 with dma, I get the "Can't find..." message. If i boot with the 2.4 kernel with nodma, then I can boot successfully.

    Has everyone who experienced this problem had a Plextor drive? Is this a kernel bug? I guess I should try a straight install of debian.

    Doug

  7. #17
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    I was getting the same error on a Dell Optiplex.

    It turned out to be the older CD rom drive. I exchanged the CD rom drive for another exact same kind and still had a problem. I swapped the CD rom drive with the DVD drive (master/slave) so now I boot from the DVD drive and KNOPPIX 3.6 is happy.

  8. #18
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    How can I delete this post? Mod? kindly delete this please?

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14
    I had the same problem on my laptop. The problem IS the CD-ROM drive. My CD drive is an SCSI CD, and it gave me the same errors - apparently my BIOS would support booting from this particular CD drive but the Knoppix boot information did not. The way I solved it was through a poor man's install - create a folder called "Knoppix" in your C:/ drive and then copy the Knoppix filesystem (that big file labeled "Knoppix" in the Knoppix folder on the CD) into the Knoppix folder on your Hard Drive. The only trouble with that is Knoppix views your hard drive as the CD drive, and won't let you write to it. But at least it'll let you boot. But at least it will boot now. (I'm in Knoppix right now.)

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    cant read knoppix file system error

    I am no expert...
    but I think when it talks about the knoppix filesystem it is talking about the file system that decompresses the kernel off the cd.? In any case I think this error basically means that it l can no longer read from the cdrom. I had this error when booting off my plextor burner and got around it by just booting from another cdrom drive.

    Steve B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Can't Find Knoppix File System
    By crism in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
  2. Knoppix cannot find file system
    By snippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Can't find KNOPPIX file system
    By Spool32 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. Can't Find KNOPPIX File System..
    By MR.Error in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 06:58 AM
  5. HELP..... Knoppix can't find File System
    By BiggJeff74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$99.00



TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW picture

TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW

$22.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00