Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Newbie question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2

    Newbie question

    Well, I finally have a chance to try Linux without messing up my laptop. I have few questions though:

    1. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or when I logout, my screen is all messed up. Nothing is legible on the screen. All I see are lines and colors and dots. Why is this happening? My laptop has a nVidia GeForce4 440 Go card and the max resolution I set when using Knoppix is 1400x1050.

    2. My laptop does not come with built-in floppy drive and I don't want to install Knoppix on my hard-drive, so, my question is, can I save the configuration on a directory in my Windows partition? Or, is there a way to save configuration on a local HDD?

    Thank you for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    1. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or when I logout, my screen is all messed up. Nothing is legible on the screen. All I see are lines and colors and dots. Why is this happening? My laptop has a nVidia GeForce4 440 Go card and the max resolution I set when using Knoppix is 1400x1050.
    I assume that everything works ok except for when you log out or hit Ctrl+Alt+F1.
    hmmmmm.....how exactly do you boot? Are you passing any options at boot time?

    can I save the configuration on a directory in my Windows partition? Or, is there a way to save configuration on a local HDD?
    It's called "persistent home" and you can read about it here:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    When I boot Knoppix, I use this command: knoppix lang=us screen=1400x1050. That's it. And yes, everything works fine except when I logout or hit Ctrl+Alt+F1.

    Btw, thank you for the link for "Persisten Home" thing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Do you see the penguin startup screen with hardware detection, etc.?

    If not you are using a non-supported video mode for the consoles, so try and boot up with:

    knoppix lang=us screen=1400x1050 vga=normal

    HTH

    rock

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question
    By mute1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
  2. Newbie question
    By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:43 AM
  3. 100% newbie question
    By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 02:03 PM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. Really Newbie Question
    By way2late in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY picture

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY

$20.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$599.99



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition picture

Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition

$199.99



Vintage SHARP PC-1500 Pocket Computer Scientific Calculator POWERS ON, UNTESTED picture

Vintage SHARP PC-1500 Pocket Computer Scientific Calculator POWERS ON, UNTESTED

$85.00



Vintage Jade Computer Products CP/M v2.2 8

Vintage Jade Computer Products CP/M v2.2 8" Floppy Disk SD Versafloppy II S-100

$59.99



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed picture

Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed

$34.99



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00