-
Newbie question
Well, I finally have a chance to try Linux without messing up my laptop. I have few questions though:
1. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or when I logout, my screen is all messed up. Nothing is legible on the screen. All I see are lines and colors and dots. Why is this happening? My laptop has a nVidia GeForce4 440 Go card and the max resolution I set when using Knoppix is 1400x1050.
2. My laptop does not come with built-in floppy drive and I don't want to install Knoppix on my hard-drive, so, my question is, can I save the configuration on a directory in my Windows partition? Or, is there a way to save configuration on a local HDD?
Thank you for your help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
1. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or when I logout, my screen is all messed up. Nothing is legible on the screen. All I see are lines and colors and dots. Why is this happening? My laptop has a nVidia GeForce4 440 Go card and the max resolution I set when using Knoppix is 1400x1050.
I assume that everything works ok except for when you log out or hit Ctrl+Alt+F1.
hmmmmm.....how exactly do you boot? Are you passing any options at boot time?
can I save the configuration on a directory in my Windows partition? Or, is there a way to save configuration on a local HDD?
It's called "persistent home" and you can read about it here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155
-
When I boot Knoppix, I use this command: knoppix lang=us screen=1400x1050. That's it. And yes, everything works fine except when I logout or hit Ctrl+Alt+F1.
Btw, thank you for the link for "Persisten Home" thing.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do you see the penguin startup screen with hardware detection, etc.?
If not you are using a non-supported video mode for the consoles, so try and boot up with:
knoppix lang=us screen=1400x1050 vga=normal
HTH
rock
Similar Threads
-
By mute1 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
-
By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:43 AM
-
By Schopenhauer101 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-18-2004, 02:03 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By way2late in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95