Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Simply will not boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9

    Simply will not boot

    Knoppix 3.2, 3.4, and Feather all hang on boot at the point right after loading vmlinuz...... The screen clears and Tux appears, then nothing but a blinking cursor. CTL-ALT-DEL will not work at that point. The CD can be ejected. I've tried nodma, nopcmcia, noacip, acpi=off, etc... I've even tried expert and interactive. It always hangs at the same point.

    The machine is a Slot-1 PIII-450, 384 Mb ram (8Mb shared video). The mobo is a PCChips 478LMRT. The onboard LAN is disabled in BIOS and a PCI LAN card is installed instead.

    I'm at a loss - any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    try the cheatcodes to give you a 800x600 screen, it MAY be that the 1024x768 is too much for your screen/card combo,

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9
    I'll give it a try.

    But, I don't think that would be it because it never reaches a point where screen resolution matters - it never even makes it to the hardware detection part.

    On a couple of tries, it did get beyond the tux image and displayed the line "Welcome to the live linux-on-cd" (or something like that) line right below tux. But nevery any further.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1
    Burn another CD ? I had a ruined system evertime I installed RedHat a couple of years ago. I was almost ready to throw in the towel. I then burned 3 more cds and the next install worked just fine.

    I was suprised that the cd would work in the drive without the operating process (anaconda installer, in my case) complaining of a media error, but there it was.

    Everytime I get funky results from a burnt image, I cook another just to be sure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Have you checked the cd image? 'knoppix testcd'

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9
    It's not the Knoppix CD. I can boot my regular desktop into knoppix off this cd just fine - I've been using it for quite some time now. There's just something on this particular machine that Knoppix doesn't like.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    I have the same problem on a dual PIII 733, a single 733 and a P4 2.4Ghz, when booting with the 2.4 kernel i just get a black screen and that is it. THe machine is locked up and you have to use the power button to reset it. The P4 and dually will work with the 2.6 kernel, but I really need to use 2.4. I have tried new cd's and a bunch of cheat codes. Any suggestions?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9
    Looks like for me, it was a true hardware problem. There was some kind of a memory problem. It turned out that I could not even install windows without running into weird problems. I forget what indicated it, but I finally removed one of the memory sticks and things started working - sort of. Still couldn''t get the penguin to load, but I did manage to get windows going. Nevertheless, there were so many problems that I finally gave up and put the box in the recycle bin. It was only going to be a distro test box anyway.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18
    I bet you 10$ it was the nic

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    jman217
    Perhaps you need a kernel 2.4.xx with smp support.


    kpf8655
    It's the mobo. Pcchips is terrible. I had 2 of this mobo and both won't work with linux and often crashes windows. This mobo seem can't resolve memory problem/allocation.



Similar Threads

  1. Installing Linux onto hard drive very very simply help
    By trackerq3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 08:06 AM
  2. simply put
    By anubis4eva in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 09:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00