Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Building cloop for kernel 2.6.x

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Building cloop for kernel 2.6.x

    Hi all;...

    ...just saw that Knoppix 3.6 also features kenel 2.6.7, so cloop seems to be working with 2.6, after all. Anyhow, I am constantly failing to get cloop 2.01 to work with any of the 2.6 kernels by now. Basically, it fails in a reproducible way:


    cloop: Initializing cloop v2.01
    Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000003e
    printing eip:
    c022bde0
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops: 0000 [#1]
    Modules linked in: cloop snd_mixer_oss msr cpuid sd_mod ds parport_pc lp parport thermal fan button battery ac snd_via82xx snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm snd_timer snd_ page_alloc snd_mpu401_uart snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device snd soundcore usbhid eth13 94 ehci_hcd uhci_hcd usbcore ohci1394 ieee1394 yenta_socket pcmcia_core via_agp agpgart evdev dm_mod via_rhine powernow_k7 freq_table processor
    CPU: 0
    EIP: 0060:[<c022bde0>] Not tainted
    EFLAGS: 00010246 (2.6.7)
    EIP is at strlcpy+0x20/0x80
    eax: 00000000 ebx: 00000010 ecx: ffffffff edx: 0000003e
    esi: c13ae2a8 edi: 0000003e ebp: c13ae2b0 esp: ca12bf0c
    ds: 007b es: 007b ss: 0068
    Process insmod (pid: 2418, threadinfo=ca12a000 task=caf2e2d0)
    Stack: 00000000 cec601dc c13ae2a8 00000000 ca12bfa0 c0274809 00000000 c042c1e0
    00000246 0000003e 000007c0 00000000 00000001 ca12bfa0 cec3108f 000000f0
    cec601dc cec601dc 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000008 cec61c88 0000000e
    Call Trace:
    [<c0274809>] register_blkdev+0x79/0x150
    [<cec3108f>] cloop_init+0x8f/0x333 [cloop]
    [<c0128e23>] sys_init_module+0xf3/0x1c0
    [<c0145bcf>] filp_close+0x4f/0x80
    [<c0103cfb>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

    Code: f2 ae f7 d1 49 85 db 89 0c 24 74 2e 39 d9 8d 43 ff 89 cb 0f


    Any ideas?


    Thanks and bye,
    Kris

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    kawazu,

    Apply these two patches (in same order) to your kernel source before compilation:-

    http://users.tpg.com.au/sigm/2.6.8-filemap.patch
    http://users.tpg.com.au/sigm/2.6.8-cloop.patch

    Cloop is now in your kernel, so no need to compile it externally. Just enable it as a module in your config.

    I use squashfs instead of cloop now. It has much better compression, but involves some miniroot modifications.

    The patches will be there for a couple of days only.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kelmo
    ...
    Cloop is now in your kernel, so no need to compile it externally. Just enable it as a module in your config.
    ...
    I use squashfs instead of cloop now. It has much better compression, but involves some miniroot modifications.
    ...
    Okay, thanks for your hint. Actually, I am also into getting Knoppix sort of "remastered" based on squashedfs because I prefer its way of handling file systems, but I needed to access a cloop-compressed image, first.

    Thanks and bye,
    Kris

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawazu
    Quote Originally Posted by kelmo
    ...
    Cloop is now in your kernel, so no need to compile it externally. Just enable it as a module in your config.
    ...
    I use squashfs instead of cloop now. It has much better compression, but involves some miniroot modifications.
    ...
    Okay, thanks for your hint. Actually, I am also into getting Knoppix sort of "remastered" based on squashedfs because I prefer its way of handling file systems, but I needed to access a cloop-compressed image, first.

    Thanks and bye,
    Kris
    I'm trying to update the kernel of my knoppix based router and pbx PC to 2.6.8 in order to get my webcam connected - but I experienced the same troubles with cloop...

    In short: I'd like to get those patches as well, but I can't find them anywhere on the net. Would you please give me an url where I can get the patch?

    Bye,
    Daniel

Similar Threads

  1. Building new kernel + modules + drivers
    By jrp in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 12:13 PM
  2. Building custom kernel under KNOPPIX and package it ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
  3. building custom kernel 2.4.20
    By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 03:27 PM
  4. Error building cloop under RedHat part 2
    By sergiornunes in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 03:01 PM
  5. Error building cloop under RedHat
    By zamoose in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00