Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Absolute Linux newbie cannot get Knoppix to even TRY to boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3

    Absolute Linux newbie cannot get Knoppix to even TRY to boot

    As stated, I am a total linux newbie. I watched the first episode of The Broken, and want to run airsnort so that I can use the wireless network at myschool without the administration installing their software on my computer. Essentially their software has wrecked all of my friends' laptops, so I'm trying to avoid that, but I need Linux to do so.

    I am using a Dell 9100 desktop replacement, 3.2 GHz Pentium IV, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, 128 MB Radeon 9700 Mobility. I recently updated my Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack #2. so there's that.

    Anyway, I burned knoppix 3.4 to a CD-R. I insert the disc into my CD-RW/DVD drive, and restart my computer. I enter the BIOS menu to do a one-time boot and choose the disc drive.....and it boots into Windows as normal.

    I've tried permanently reordering the boot order of the drives. I've tried booting from an external disc drive. I've tried loading the image off of an external hard drive. I've tried the "trick" of booting my laptop when it is running only on battery power. I've tried turning the computer entirely off or doing a windows restart. Nothing works. It always just boots into Windows XP.

    What am I doing wrong? I can't find anyone with a similar situation on the forum, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize I am probably missing something obvious, but it is something I cannot figure out. I've burned the disc image twice just to ensure it was not a bad burn. I am at a loss.

    Someone please help me out!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Absolute Linux newbie cannot get Knoppix to even TRY to

    Quote Originally Posted by trav618
    Anyway, I burned knoppix 3.4 to a CD-R.
    You have experienced the classic symptom of burning the downloaded iso to disk as a file. That won't work.

    I don't have time right now to give you the long answer, and if you search for it you can find it yourself, but if your Windows PC has a burning utility such as Nero or EZ CD Creator, you should be able to simply double-click the ISO file, and it will guide you the rest of the way. It's the file system that you're burning to CD, not the ISO file itself.

    jd

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    44
    Most burning progs have an option to "Burn a CD Image" onto a disc or something. Use that, don't burn the actual .iso file to the CD, as if you were backing up data

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    I have a program that should do that. Thanks. I knew it was going to be obvious....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    I got it, thanks a lot. Now I just need to get drivers and figure out how to get airsnort to run...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by trav618
    I have a program that should do that. Thanks. I knew it was going to be obvious....
    No problem. Glad to help. It's a common thing, and I did a little clean-up in the WIKI. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/DownloadingHowTo

    jd

Similar Threads

  1. Absolute newbie here...can't write to XP NTFS volume
    By tofergregg in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:31 AM
  2. New to linux and knoppix and some newbie question.
    By Shaba1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
  3. Absolute newbie needs help
    By Jazz1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 11:25 PM
  4. Absolute beginner needs boot options
    By translator in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 08:29 PM
  5. Newbie RE:NO INSTALL LINUX,KNOPPIX KDE 3.1 ?PLEASE HELP ME?
    By AndrewVDP in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 04:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$12.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00