-
Senior Member
registered user
After booting w/ alsa cheat code.
lsmod|grep sound
(much less convoluted than listing all your drivers)
To see if alsa is running:
cat /proc/asound/cards
You can try to restart alsa:
/etc/init.d/alsa restart
Forget xmms for now and keep it simple.
su
updatedb
locate *.wav
play file.wav
Of course you *are* checking your mixer settings right?
-
knoppix-alsa supports only pci sound card.
If you can't find the sound card by the command "lspci", you can't use alsa.
if you find the sound card and use knoppix 3.6, you have to edit /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig.
Find a string "Class 0401", and change to "0401".
-
Junior Member
registered user
Perhaps that's why I'm experiencing some troubles while installing Knoppix 3.6 on my PC. It's based on an Abit IC7 motherboard, which has a AC97 audio section onboard.
When I had installed Knoppix 3.4 onto my HD (I chose Debian style) by booting with "alsa" cheatcode, it had successfully enabled sound modules so that ALSA correctly works (with XMMS, for instance). But when I did just the same with 3.6, it didn't work.
I tried to run both "alsa_init" and "alsa_snddevices" as root, but it didn't help. I even tried to edit "alsa-autoconfig" to solve the "Class 0401" issue and run it, but nothing. I simply can't have my Knoppix see sound section through ALSA.
What's more, I got same problem on a totally different PC (an old Compaq Deskpro), surely having a different mobo.
I also experienced ALSA not working even when Knoppix is run from CD, even with "alsa" cheatcode. Using OSS instead seems to work (at least by playing XMMS).
Does anybody know what's changed from 3.4 to 3.6? I could rollback to 3.4 quite fast, but I regret not having my 3.6 HD-installed...
TnX
-
mixer settings?
Someone may have already covered this, but I believe that ALSA mixer settings are muted by default, thus even if ALSA was correctly configuring your sound card, you still wouldn't hear anything. From the ALSA Wiki:
# amixer set Master 100 unmute
# amixer set PCM 100 unmute
Give that try...again, sorry if I'm covering old ground here.
Josh
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: mixer settings?

Originally Posted by
hardbop200
Someone may have already covered this, but I believe that ALSA mixer settings are muted by default, thus even if ALSA was correctly configuring your sound card, you still wouldn't hear anything. From the ALSA Wiki:
# amixer set Master 100 unmute
# amixer set PCM 100 unmute
Yeah, I understand this. But the fact XMMS says my soundcard is not even properly detected urges me to think that's not a problem with volume muting. Anyway, I had also tried to set volume levels, but no results
Similar Threads
-
By ockham23 in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-28-2005, 11:02 AM
-
By laughingboy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-09-2005, 10:03 AM
-
By daveclem in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
-
By hardbop200 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
-
By rja in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras
$124.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Rare Vintage Commodore Solid State Red LED Calculator 897D w/ box & manual
$49.99

Epson LQ-570+ Vintage Dot Matrix Printer Tested w/Cable - READ
$100.00

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00