-
-
for install to hd instructions go to the Docs section found at the top of this web page. or it that isn't easy enough click on the link below
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo
-
Junior Member
registered user
May I interject a point learned thru experience? To insure you get a good install on your system,install without making any changes to the install. If all goes well, then you can install over the previous. This will insure that your system can function with OS. I have installed Knoppix 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, & 3.6 about 40 times . This the method I find best.
william
-
Senior Member
registered user
I made changes and couldn't change them back on 3.4 so I just reinstalled. Both worked great. Did beginner type install first then did knoppix style next.
Thinking about debian style next. Any advice about debian type install? Anyone?
-
Senior Member
registered user
There's a fellow cheesehead* on this forum who goes by Cuddles, who just went through this over the Memorial Day weekend, IIRC. She's very knowledgable, and I would search for her posts if I were you. Perhaps she may even respond to you.
jd
*Note to those unfamiliar with American idiom, this term is often used to describe the inhabitants of Wisconsin. Wisconsin is to American dairy products what Champagne is to, well, French champagne. Cheesehead is generally not considered derogatory, nor is it intended as such here.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Since I posted my previous entry, I have had a hard drive crash and a reinstall. Problem was a marginal drive . It works some then it lays down. Age tells even on drives. This is an old Seagate 4.3 gig drive. I stated previously that you should install without changing any part of the install. iIn order to clarify that. 1) Install all hardware that you require for your use. That includes printer (turned on) Scanner, externel drives, etc. 2) next, start install, do not change any of the hardware after you've begun. 3) At the screen asking for the type system you desire make your selection carefully. If you are unsure, I suggest that you try beginner. You are probably asking what I use, on the regular system I use 3.4 or 3.6, on the test system I use beginner. Back to your original problem , if your drive is over 4 yrs old there is a possibility that it is beginning to fade.My last suggestion of this post When you have installed , check each function that you will need. Sounds crazy but many people start loading thieir system with software that is a pane to replace. Well, I'll go till next time.
William
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rrfish72
I made changes and couldn't change them back on 3.4 so I just reinstalled. Both worked great. Did beginner type install first then did knoppix style next.
Thinking about debian style next. Any advice about debian type install? Anyone?
Don't know what you're looking for as advice, you just try it & see if you like it. You will find that the startup is different, it doesn't use the Knoppix autoinstall. I think it does a check for new hardware only at the initial install, any other changes you have to 'install' manually but I coould be wrong. All your setup changes like fstab to auto mount your directories stay as you set them rather than resetting to default & it's a multi user setup with your own usernames etc. I was always a little unsure of this because there seems to be Knoppix specific scripts that seem to want user Knoppix. Some Knoppix specific stuff is not there with Debian install.
Try it & see what you think. It's easy to reinstall if you don't like it as long as you don't do toooo much custom setups.
Personally I am now using Knoppix type install because
1) I have no need for multiple users & don't really care what the username is. You can add users to a Knoppix type install anyway.
2) Knoppix type install for sure has all the Knoppix setup scripts & such intact.
3) I have been experimenting with remastering & can remaster from a Knoppix type install
4) I have been experiemnting with having a HD install use the same 'persistent home' as a CD or 'toHD' install which means you must have consistent usernames & userID #'s. (This is not going well & I have just about given up on it, setup for one system seems to interfere with the other or something.)
5) I like the 'preparing for system startup' voice message.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I htink that CrashedAgain stated the obvious very well, and he has shown that there can be small differencesof opinion regarding what could be considered as small items. He likes Knoppix install and I like Debian and Beginner. Use all three and make your own choice. We can talk all that we want to but you will have to make this one. As a sidebar while playing with my test system I managed to crash the system three times . Knoppix is very easy to reinstall. Enough said.
Have a good day, William
PS That happened this morning.
Similar Threads
-
By ReuvenNY in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-09-2005, 03:36 AM
-
By A.I.M. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-25-2005, 08:17 AM
-
By bugsy in forum General Support
Replies: 19
Last Post: 12-31-2004, 05:43 AM
-
By bubazoo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:27 AM
-
By bit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US
$349.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$37.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

Apple MFi Flash Drive Memory Storage Photo Stick for iPhone iPad Lightning USB C
$56.95