Hi folks
I've got an XP box with a 10-gig c:\ drive and a 40-gig second drive. The c:\ drive is way too full, and the other is empty; both are FAT32 formatted, as XP was installed over Win98 as "upgrade." What I'd like to do is swap the drives, using partimage running on Knoppix to save the images onto cds and then moving master to slave. (The second IDE controller runs both the cd-rw and cd-read drives, while the primary controller handles both hdds.)
Assuming that I've defragged both, and turned off virtual memory, can I restore the 10-gig image to a 40-gig drive? Would it be better to create a 10-gig image on the big hdd, and then add another partition (oh, hell, why not just give that to a REAL os, like Debian! Except I can't, on this box...)
Can I restore the 40-gig to the 10, or should I use FIPS or something to shrink it to 10, restore, and then stretch it back up? Can FIPS stretch the size bigger?
I suppose these might seem trivial questions, but before I attempt this (a business runs on this system) I have to be reassured that XP won't get fussy over being on a different drive than it was installed on. Anything else I should worry about?
I NEVER trust the MS forums; I ALWAYS get spammed to death after even a simple inquiry. Myself, I'm moving to completely non-ms really soon...
Thanks
snarkfinder

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller
$295.00