-
Senior Member
registered user
linux and 2.6 kernel
I've fiannly gotten around to installing knoppix .
What I want to know now is what is Linux? I have linux (2.4) and linux (2.6) but I don't get just linux? Whats the point of it and can I remove it?
Also (if its not extremly hard) can I remove the 2.6 kernel? its useless to me and just takes up space.
-
Removing a kernel
sure you can remove a kernel from your machine (I run the 2.6.x kernel and tend to remove the kernel from two iterations prior).. here's the dirty way...
1.) make sure you're not booted into the kernel you wanna remove
2.) go into /lib/modules and remove the folder for the kernel you want to kill (this will take care of the modules)
3.)go into /boot and delete any files assosiated with the kernel you want to remove (vmlinuz, system.map, and config)
4.) (unlikely you'd have the kernel sources but just in case) go to /usr/src and if there's a folder for associated with the version you want to remove, delete it.
you'll then probably want to comment out or remove any lines in /etc/lilo.conf pointing to the kernel you've just removed, and run lilo -v to refresh the file before rebooting.
the easy way would be to see if the kernel was installed from a binary source, then you could just dpkg -r it.
Similar Threads
-
By akvasu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
-
By aykuty in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:16 AM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-19-2003, 09:28 PM
-
By TheCyberDude in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-03-2003, 03:01 PM
-
By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC
$10499.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p
$89.99

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99