Hello All,
I tried the CD distribution and loved it, so I installed Knoppix 3.4 on HD with lilo. Everything works fine, except for the sound system.
xmms works fine and the system bell works good. My troubles are with wav files. If I start wuadacity it can play wavs, but if I try to record it complains that it it cannot open output device. Although if I do play, it can open it fine!
lsmod |grep snd from my HD installation gives:
snd_seq_oss 35840 0
snd_seq_midi_event 10624 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 54128 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss 51716 0
snd_mixer_oss 19072 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_intel8x0 33512 0
snd_ac97_codec 59268 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm 86144 2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0
snd_timer 25344 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 13060 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
gameport 8192 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart 10496 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi 23552 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 10756 3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd 49540 12 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss ,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm ,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dev ice
soundcore 12000 3 snd,i810_audio
If I boot from CD with alsa, I get a working system with this lsmod output:
gameport 8192 1 snd_intel8x0
snd 49540 17 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss ,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_ra wmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0m,snd_ac97_codec, snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_ac97_codec 59268 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m
snd_intel8x0 33512 0
snd_intel8x0m 20228 5
snd_mixer_oss 19072 4 snd_pcm_oss
snd_mpu401_uart 10496 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_page_alloc 13060 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m,snd_pcm
snd_pcm 86144 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m
snd_pcm_oss 51716 0
snd_rawmidi 23552 1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq 54128 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 10756 3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd_seq_midi_event 10624 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq_oss 35840 0
snd_timer 25344 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
soundcore 12000 4 snd
Any idea how to match the HD devices to the CD boot devices?
Thanks for your help.

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3
$89.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM
$649.99
VisionTek 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop RAM 260-Pin DDR4-3200
$240.00
HP Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 RAM 3733MHz HP37D4U1S8ME-16XR
$79.99
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB
$149.99