The system: WinME and a Knoppix 'toHD' on hda1, Knoppix HD install on hda5 (beginner type), persistent home & config files for the toHD plus other data on hda6, hda7 swap used by both systems.Uncompressing linux...................ok booting the kernel
INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
Mounting local filesystems
mount: /dev/hda1 already mounted on /mnt/hda1
mount: /dev/hda6 already mounted on /mnt/hda6
mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist
mount: sysfs has the wrong device number or fs type sysfs not supported
INIT: entering runlevel 5
Starting printing system service: cupsdstart-stop-daemon: nothing in /proc - not mounted?
Starting K Destop manager : kdm
Starting OpenBSD shell server : sshd
Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable (none) tty(1)
(none) login:
What I did: Running the 'toHD' system, mount hda5 rw & restored some wallpaper files from the toHD system to /mnt/hda5/usr/share/wallpapers. That's all, nothing else.
What happened: Next time I booted the hda5 system, I get the above instead of proper startup. It appears it is attempting the start without going through the startup procedure. I can log in but nothing runs until I remount hda5 rw, then I can startx which starts more or less normally but logout takes me back to this (none) terminal.
It appears something crossed up between the two systems, the only operational thing they share is the swap file.
It is possible something got crossed up this way?
What could it be? and what do I do to restore hda5?

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 β 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive β Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00
RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$215.25
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99