-
Senior Member
registered user
How to configure dial up?
I have to use dial up and cannot configure it correctly. It works in windows but don't know how to get it right in knoppix. I tried following the dial up tool but didn't get it to work. Please help so I can post and read from knoppix instead of switching to windows to do that.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Question #1: does you modem work? If it's a winmodem, you will have to install a driver. I use ltmodem but it doesn't install straight off the .deb package because there is a problem with the gcc compiler check in Knoppix, specifically that Knoppix kernel was compiled with gcc version 2.xx & that is a mismatch to the ltmodem.
Here's how I get around it:
1. Download ltmodem-8.26a.tar.gz from http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
2. Unpack it to a convenient directory
3. Following the instructions in the 'readme', CD to that directory, then (as root) run ./build-module and 'ltinst2'
4. Edit the script ./autoload to remove the gcc version check. This is an 'if' statement which runs from about line 265 to about line 295. Comment out everything between the "if" and the "fi" by placing a # at the beginning of the line.
5. Then run ./autoload
6. Provided your winmodem is of a type supported by this driver, you should now have a working modem. Check by using KPPP->configure->query modem.
Once modem is working, configuring is easy. I use KPPP & just have to enter the appropriate phone number, user name etc.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do I download this from windows or from knoppix? I cannot get to the internet from knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think it should be OK to download using windows but you will have to do the install from linux so save the file to somehwere both windows & linux have access to. Then I suggest you (as root) copy the tar file to /root, unpack it & install from there.
Similar Threads
-
By whilewend in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-18-2004, 10:21 AM
-
By oldgeezer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2004, 01:57 PM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-25-2003, 11:50 PM
-
By Wayne W in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 02:53 AM
-
By shadowcAt in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$438.45

Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good
$509.99

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD
$335.99

LaCie Rugged SSD 1TB Portable SSD USB3.1 Gen2 IP67 Waterproof
$475.00