Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Adding a mouse driver to a remastered version

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Adding a mouse driver to a remastered version

    Adding a mouse driver to a remastered version of Knoppix


    I initially decided to do a re-master of Knoppix because of a mouse driver problem I was having when booting Knoppix in a VMware session (see below for details).


    I've successfully made a few remasters (just minor changes really), and now I'm researching how I can include a mouse driver that allows the mouse to function at full speed (vmmouse_drv.o).

    I've looked through mkxf86config & knoppix-autoconfig, but I'm stuck with where & how to "insert" this driver. I would ideally not hack what ever setups X, but rather somehow get this driver in as a "recognized" driver (so that Knoppix will see that when I'm running a mouse under VMware, it should use this driver).


    Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction!


    Thanks,
    Dennis


    original post on VMware's forum regarding this issue
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Has anyone been experiencing problems with an extremely slow mouse using Knoppix in a VMware session (as a bootable environment vs. hard disk install)?

    While this is a non-supported VMware guest, this seems to be a recent problem (at least for me), and I'm trying to track it down (and hopefully fix it). Mouse movement seemed fine in previous versions of VMWare (pre-v4.5.x), so I'm not certain if this is an issue with the v4.5.x versions, or something I'm doing wrong. I'm seeing this on 2 VMware installs (both running under Debian).

    I've tried both autodetect & PS/2 for the "Host Mouse Type" setting, and Connection types of Autodetect, /dev/mouse & /dev/psaux (no apparent difference in regards to this issue).
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    this is strange, mouse here under 4.5.2 build 8842, debian unstable works fine.

    about the driver you'd have to compile it against running kernel and copy into lib/modules and then you could probably select it by using expert mode

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    Ghandalfar,
    I don't have this issue if I install the VMware tools (I'm assuming you've got them installed), but what I wanted to "fix" was the fact that w/o the tools (running off the live cd), the mouse is un-useable (and I'm pretty certain this is a recent issue, older versions of either VMware, Knoppix or X didn't seem to have an issue with the mouse)


    -Dennis

Similar Threads

  1. 3.4 Kernel Version, and Driver Version
    By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 12:25 AM
  2. Adding a program and a printer driver
    By smolz in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 04:32 AM
  3. Remastered version with 2.4.21 kernel
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 08:27 AM
  4. Adding a new ethernet driver
    By pankepasa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 02:58 AM
  5. Adding Users to Remastered CD
    By john.morris in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2003, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800 picture

Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800

$199.95



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00