-
NFS mounting problems!!!!
All Knoppix versions I tested, as the newest 3.6, have the same problem. When I try to mount an NFS-Share from my fileserver the mount command hangs and can't be deleted with "kill -9". It hangs with status "D+" (by the way what means the "+"??) ("ps ax"). A reboot is necessary to get rid of from this hanging process (I hate rebooting)!
The NFS-server outputs in syslog:
Aug 26 19:57:36 leela rpc.mountd: export request from 192.168.1.207
Aug 26 19:57:55 leela last message repeated 2 times
Aug 26 19:58:07 leela rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.207:930 for /mnt/adata/tmprw (/mnt/adata/tmprw)
So it receives and accepts the mount request. After waiting some minutes I get the following output at the Knoppix booted machine:
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
lockd_up: makesock failed, error=-5
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
I'm very confused about this because the network card is correctly (via DHCP) configured. samba, http, ftp etc. work perfectly. And what about the timeout for localhost????
Please help!
-
You know, I've been having the very same problem. I wish I knew what was going on.
The Knoppix people have, I think, a bias toward SAMBA. SAMBA is something I won't use--my file-and-printer sharing among my OS/2 machines is on NetBEUI since it 1) has less overhead than NetBIOS over TCP/IP, 2) it is MUCH easier to set up, and 3) I don't have to worry about it getting routed somehow over the internet. Sigh: Linux doesn't do SMB over native NetBEUI frames. Therefore, I use NFS to talk between OS/2 and Linux and between Linux machines. No to SAMBA.
All this said, I wish that Knoppix would pay more attention to NFS.
You want to know a dirty little secret? After I did a
mount -o soft linux:/ /linux
and waited and waited until I got a prompt back, guess what happened?
YES! The share mounted anyway! I could access the mounted file system!
Give it a try. It's been working for me.
-
I have the same problem (Trying to access a Sun Solaris box)
Wait several minutes, and mount comes back fine. I've tried forcing the nfsvers parameter down to level 2, no joy.
One other thing I had: When reading images from the server, Knoppix would occasionally hang for 10 seconds or so, then carry on.
-
Solution
I have found the solution:
/etc/init.d/portmap start
Without the portmapper NFS mounting won't work. I don't know why this isn't started by default or this isn't started automatically when using NFS. I think a solution about this problem has to be found, because this is serious.
Similar Threads
-
By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
-
By ryanlines in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM
-
By pau in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-23-2003, 05:36 PM
-
By NASAce in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
-
By pummer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 DIMM CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 #CD2
$160.00

Patriot Viper Steel 64GB 2x32GB DDR4 3200 PVS464G320C6
$449.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00