Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: /dev/null permission errors

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    55

    /dev/null permission errors

    Whenever I chroot into my remaster, I get the following:

    /bin/bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    /bin/bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    /bin/bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    /bin/bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    and so on.
    I've tried doing a chmod 777 /dev/null, I've tried doing chgrp and chown root /dev/null, and I still get the same error. I searched Google for solutions, but their problems were all fixed after a chmod 777, whereas mine still persists.
    I can delete /dev/null and it regenerates one and works, but then the remaster fails to work when installed onto the HD, and the regenerated /dev/null is quite odd - it's not even a device file. Any thoughts?

  2. #2

    RE

    U must mount the drive that u want to chroot with

    mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

    changing hda1 with your specific devices
    good luck

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    55
    The drive's already mounted rw, and before you ask, I'm root.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi, if you speak french you might read this, because i had the same problem and did resolv it : http://www.lea-linux.org/pho/read.php?f=16&i=476&t=476

    If you don't understand french, or where is the solution of your problem, just ask. =)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    55
    Well, I understood it (almost ), but where does it talk about /dev/null? It gives a guide to installation of Mandrake and use of Morphix, doesn't it?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    One of the remastering procedures I read says about /dev/null permission errors to do this:

    mount -o remount,rw,nosuid -t ext2 /dev/hdaN /mnt/hdaN

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    remount -o dev

    in knoppix, if you mount /mnt/hdx, it is by default mouted with the nodev option, so /dev/null won't work there. Before chrooting, you should do mount -oremount,dev /mnt/hdxy

Similar Threads

  1. Many Errors at .xsession-errors file ...
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  2. webserver permission
    By wildcat in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 02:27 AM
  3. X permission problems
    By ocilent1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 12:53 PM
  4. Dev Null Permission Problems
    By Ambrose in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 12:00 PM
  5. debootstrap fails with non-writeable /dev/null
    By doelle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72