Here's one quick way to check, eco: http://scan.sygate.com/Originally Posted by eco2geek
I was a bit shocked to find out, while configuring ssh, that Knoppix and Kanotix have no default iptables rules in place.
I'm not sure I need a software firewall, since I'm behind a router that does NAT. But one can't be too careful these days.
In earlier threads, people have talked about Bastille, Shorewall, Firestarter, and Guarddog as easy-to-use front ends to iptables. I tried Guarddog, and ended up somehow making some web sites not load, so I disabled it.
Your firewall thoughts and recommendations, please?
(I do have books that thoroughly explain how to do it all by hand, and I really am going to read them...someday!)
Here's one quick way to check, eco: http://scan.sygate.com/Originally Posted by eco2geek
Firestarter is the easiest one I can find.
![]()
Forgot about my thought...or do I have one.
Bastille and shorewall is script based firewall, I'm not a script kind of person. I don't use them because I can't see what they are up to, and I'm so stupid that I don't know what I'm doing.
Guarddog, gui firewall, that's what I like. I can see what the application is doing...and what I'm doing. But like you said, I also have problem with this application. I can't share connection.
Firestarter, like guarddog but simple and easier. I also don't have problem sharing connection ( built in nat ) and easier to set rules.
![]()
![]()
I loaded iptables and wrote a script from one of these script generators that echos everything onto the screen when ran. Its an executable that runs only as a certain user, I like it...

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro
$339.00