Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Firewall recommendations?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568

    Firewall recommendations?

    I was a bit shocked to find out, while configuring ssh, that Knoppix and Kanotix have no default iptables rules in place.

    I'm not sure I need a software firewall, since I'm behind a router that does NAT. But one can't be too careful these days.

    In earlier threads, people have talked about Bastille, Shorewall, Firestarter, and Guarddog as easy-to-use front ends to iptables. I tried Guarddog, and ended up somehow making some web sites not load, so I disabled it.

    Your firewall thoughts and recommendations, please?

    (I do have books that thoroughly explain how to do it all by hand, and I really am going to read them...someday!)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: Firewall recommendations?

    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    I'm not sure I need a software firewall, since I'm behind a router that does NAT. But one can't be too careful these days.
    Here's one quick way to check, eco: http://scan.sygate.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Firestarter is the easiest one I can find.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Forgot about my thought...or do I have one.
    Bastille and shorewall is script based firewall, I'm not a script kind of person. I don't use them because I can't see what they are up to, and I'm so stupid that I don't know what I'm doing.

    Guarddog, gui firewall, that's what I like. I can see what the application is doing...and what I'm doing. But like you said, I also have problem with this application. I can't share connection.

    Firestarter, like guarddog but simple and easier. I also don't have problem sharing connection ( built in nat ) and easier to set rules.


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5

    Reply to firewall

    I loaded iptables and wrote a script from one of these script generators that echos everything onto the screen when ran. Its an executable that runs only as a certain user, I like it...

Similar Threads

  1. Firewall
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
  2. KDE descktop recommendations
    By wmcn in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
  3. Firewall
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 04:09 AM
  4. Printer recommendations?
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 11:14 PM
  5. USB Drives for Persistent Home: Recommendations?
    By unamiccia in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 2 6TB Dual-Bay RAID Desktop HDD USB 3.0 7200RPM picture

LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 2 6TB Dual-Bay RAID Desktop HDD USB 3.0 7200RPM

$670.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



SansDigital TowerRaid TR4X+ 4x6TB 24TB SAS2 External RAID JBOD Enclosure picture

SansDigital TowerRaid TR4X+ 4x6TB 24TB SAS2 External RAID JBOD Enclosure

$189.45



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00