-
knoppix will not boot
I get the starting screen and disabled everything with cheat codes. I also tried setting to vga. I hit enter, see a couple lines of text and the computer reboots? Anyone have any idea? I actually tried the memtest through knoppix as well. It also caused a reboot, could it be bad memory?
I computer is quite old as well, but I figured it can run linux. Its a pentium 166.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Does it meet the minimum requirements?
Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
20 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),
bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.
-
Senior Member
registered user
i personally have a p100 and it works in textmode. not fast but... how much memory do you have? id recomend 32Mb or so as min.
-
yes, it meets the requirements. Also it has 64Mb RAM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
it might be a faulty cd.
have you checked the MD5sum?
if you have and it matches the ISO file is ok. if that doesn't match there is something wrong with the download.
have you tried the knoppix testcd function? if that goes trough it might be something else. hmmm, such old computers can have flaky BIOS batteries, not likely in theis case as it boots.
hmmm.
i guess you have to boot such an old computer with floppies, if so how did you make them. did you check them before making the bootfloppies?
-
Junior Member
registered user
It meets the minimum requirements for text mode then, not for booting into the GUI. Have you tried just booting into text mode?
-
Junior Member
registered user
cannot boot knoppix
This problem happened to me recently. I was installing Knoppix 3.6 over 3.4. the system
crashed, that is would not progress further in the loading than the first few lines. In order to correct the problem I had to clean, not format, but wipe the hard drive. I used the commercial program Tuff Test. A new install worked. I have 3 computers with some version of Knoppix/debian installed. I,also, have plug-in hard drives to allow me to change OS at my whim.
I hate to be a "Kill Joy" but I think you have to re-install.
William
Similar Threads
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By proto in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99