-
Junior Member
registered user
changing kernel nightmares
Hi all,
Like the original poster, all I want to do is to compile something which needs the kernel source.
I've tried every method described above, with limited success...
I used both the "Debian" method and the "long" method. Both produced the kernel, neither would load. I compiled without XFS support. Booting fails citing modules compiled against the old kernel *2.4.20-xfs". I seem to have modules (.o files) under both xfs and plain 2.4.20...
Rather, what seems to be happening, is that modules aren't being loaded, and therefore, the booting process stops, because needed parts of the system are missing...the reason given for failure to load is the version conflict.
I then tried to apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20-1-686 (or something quite similar). It seemed to install, yet lilo won't boot it, citing "crampfs wrong magic" or something similar. I tried using the initrd image file that I had, and one that came with it, each yielding slightly different error messages...I tried both having the post-install script rewrite lilo completly and adding it into the current lilo by hand...
I've also tried to cheat, by renaming the xfs source and linking the 2.4.20 source to try and fool the compile process; it allowed it to begin, but then aborted out realizing that version conflict.
All I want is a running kernel matching a kernel source, so that I can compile this damn thing! I don't care about xfs support...
I'm trying to compile the Zoran video decoder card drivers for an Iomega Buz, btw...
Any help would be appreciated!
Similar Threads
-
By pau1knopp in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
-
By EdeS in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-17-2004, 11:13 AM
-
By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-05-2003, 10:16 PM
-
By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module
$89.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678
$13.99

DELL INTEL E810-XXVDA4T 25GB SFP28 QUAD PORT NETWORK CARD RXHJG 0J5H9G
$449.00

SFP+ 10G BiDi WDM module 10 km 20 km 40 km 60 km 80km compatible Mikrotik LOT SM
$40.00

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code
$108.09