Quote Originally Posted by Baby Peanut
Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
Your directions look great for people who know what they are doing, but in my attempts to follow them I have now rendered my computer unbootable and been forced to reinstall linux SEVERAL times. Would it be possible for you or anyone to post a straight forward, plain english, "script" (I mean the kind used in theater, not a shell script) for how to do this. No, "you might want" no vague instructions like "apply the patch". No options period. Just a list of the correct commands to enter in the correct order to patch the kernel for the most common options that would apply to those new to linux.

If you or some one could do this I I can't tell you how much I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
How to rebuild the knoppix 2.4.20-xfs kernel.

# cd /usr/src
# wget http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v...2.4.20.tar.bz2
# tar xvfj linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2
# apt-get install kernel-patch-xfs

apt-get will creat the directory tree /usr/src/kernel-patches

# rm -f linux
# ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux
# patch -sp0 < knoppix-kernel.patch
# patch -sp0 < linux-2.4.20-ptrace.patch
# zcat kernel-patches/all/xfs/xfs-snapshot-2.4.20-all.patch.gz | patch -sp0
1 out of 13 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file linux/fs/buffer.c.rej
[ignore that message, after all it's Linux what did you expect?]
# cd linux

Then edit the fourth line of Makefile changing

EXTRAVERSION =

to

EXTRAVERSION = -xfs

# cp ../linux-2.4.20-xfs/.config .
# make-kpkg configure
[...typical linux "verbal diarrhea"-style output...]
Intel I810 (CONFIG_DRM_I810) [M/n/?]
Enabled XFree 4.1 ioctl interface by default (CONFIG_DRM_I810_XFREE_41) [N/y/?] (NEW) y
[...]
SiS (CONFIG_DRM_SIS) [N/m/?] (NEW) m
[...]
ACL support (CONFIG_XFS_POSIX_ACL) [N/y/?] (NEW) y

# fakeroot make-kpkg kernel-image

[...wait a lot...]
Fail on undefined reference to 'DQUOT_SYNC'

Rip Knoppix off box and install FreeBSD.

Sigh with relief as the kernel can now be build with just "make kernel".