From what I saw in the changelog it sounds nice, but ill just wait til knoppix has it. If its not broken, dont fix it, if it is just let someone else do the work![]()
Anyone else upgraded KDE to 3.3?
Every KDE upgrade I do the same dumb thing - forget to upgrade KDM too! (End up wondering why I can't log back in- and then remember to apt-get install -u kdm via console and woohoo!)
Other quirks are :-
Icons - have decided to line up in a different orderagain!
My Konqueror profiles, window size and placement were ignored. I ended up messing around with the new [Advanced] [Special Window Settings] and have Webbrowser, filemanager and Desktop Drives back to normal.
Other than the above "personal settings" surprises - it's running "very" smoothly![]()
Should be interesting to track down the new features and improvements in the next few days.
Cheers
rob
From what I saw in the changelog it sounds nice, but ill just wait til knoppix has it. If its not broken, dont fix it, if it is just let someone else do the work![]()
So far nothing but good impressions. Definitely worth the upgrade.
With KDE 3.2.3 - konqueror would occasionly start using +50% CPU while doing nothing and for no apparent reason. Never did track down what caused it (closing and reopening konqueror always fixed it!?)
The initial problems I had with the upgrade were all due to my sloppy after midnight concentration and a very non-standard desktop configuration/layout.
Speed, stability, performance = excellent so far!
Cheers
rob
PS read someone was experiencing some problems running it with 2.4.xx kernel.
How do I update to KDE 3.3 final release? I tried updating in apt-get but its still in 3.2. And I dont want a beta/unstable version...
Much like the opriginal writer of this post I am using Sid/Unstable and upgraded to KDE 3.3. However after the upgrade for some odd reason KDM abjectly refuses to recogize the keyboard I have. Bios recognizes, it is recognized system wide as in order to get KDE up I have to log into the console and then "startx". Then the keyboard works fine in KDE, but something seems foobared with KDMs new version. Anyone else have this problem?
Oh and to the last person who asked about getting stable KDE, might take a while, usually the release passes through unstable, then into testing, then to stable. IMHO Sid/unstable is perfectly fine for a home computer, it may carry the label of "unstable" but I haven't had any major crashes with it. If you're running a production server yeah I'd advise you to stick to stable, but for a home desktop you're not going to do yourself wrong by going with unstable, and you'll get the latest releases as they become availble to the apt repository.
I've had this happen twice, but IIRC it was the first two times booting up the new KDM so I just wrote it off to some new config being generated. Does it happen every time for you? Perhaps just swicht to GDM.Originally Posted by Hayabusa
What I dislike most about KDE 3.3 is that I can't find a way to adjust the vertical grid size for desktop icons. Perhaps I just didn't look in the right place though. Anyone?
OT: Another weird thing is this:
I thought Sarge was getting to be called 3.1 and I've always ran unstable/experimentalmarkus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1
True. But that file doesn't seem to get changed as you upgrade from sarge to sid. Or at least mine haven't.Originally Posted by Markus
![]()
But the file did get upgraded: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 Jul 26 21:03 /etc/debian_version
And "unstable/experimental" was the output before the upgrade. Or did you mean that sarge and sid share the same file?
Hmm, not exactly a KDE problem![]()
NoOriginally Posted by Markus
I was just confused...a common occurrence for me. It does seem to change after a dist-upgrade. On my latest debian install I've done plenty of upgrades, but not actually run a dist-upgrade and it still says 3.1. On another partition I have another debian sarge install that I ran dist-upgrade on to get the latest stuff and it outputs testing/unstable.
Great! Now you confused me too![]()
BTW, I was wrong about the keyboard problem. It didn't get detected after a shutdown and boot, only after a reboot. OTOH I think I got it fixed by adding ServerVTs=-7 to /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc:
[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=false
AllowShutdown=None
AutoReLogin=false
Reset=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xreset
Session=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession
Setup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
ServerVTs=-7

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00
IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00
IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00