-
can browse to samba shares but can;t mount them
I ran into an interesting problem tonight. I have two linux machines on my network, one that I successfully set up as a samba file server, the other which I want to use as a client able to mount entire drives and their dubdirectories from the samba server.
The client machine can browse to the samba share fine in Konqueror using the stntax smb://192.168.0.19/hdb1
(192.168.0.19 being the samba server and hdb1 being one of the dirves on the server I share)
however things go awry when I try to mount the samba share on my client machine:
hayabusa@andromeda:~$ sudo mount -t smbfs //192.168.0.19/hdb1 /mnt/smbhdb1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.19/hdb1,
or too many mounted file systems
I've created the local m ount ppoint for it as /mnt/smbhdb1 with the following permissions:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root users 4096 Aug 28 01:08 smbhdb1
I did some googline on the error message and one site says that the particular error message I get indicates that smbmnt/smbmount are not installed. updating the db and doing a locate on these two files turned up nothing. Further googling leads me to believe that enabling sambafs in the kernel and having the samba-common debian package installed should be enough to mount a samba filesystem, yet my problem persists. I've tried it both with and without username and password (as it stands now it shouldn;t need either to reach the samba share and browsing to it in Konq didn't require a username or password). I cheked lsmod to make sure sambafs is loaded as a module, and it is. Is there something server side I have to do to make a samba share remotely mountable, or is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing on the client machine?
Similar Threads
-
By adotl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By tsitras in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 11:04 PM
-
By terminator in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By usbrit in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By axeff in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile
$35.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

(Lot of 10) Genuine Cisco 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable SFP-H10GB-CU3M / 37-0961-03
$99.95

20 X New Cisco QSFP-100G-FR-W2 10-3659-01 Module Hologram Brand New 20 Pack
$299.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99