-
Kanotix
Ive been hearing about Kanotix, does anyone like it. what are the difference from knoppix to kanotix.... Any views are greatly appreciated...
-
Senior Member
registered user
I like Kanotix very much. The main difference between it and Knoppix is that it is closer to a purely Debian Sid than Knoppix which uses a mix with testing (Sarge). I run both BugHunter7a and the older BH4 after switching from Knoppix. I just wanted something a little closer to Sid to make for easier upgrading and Kano's scripts especially for installing kernel source are wonderful.
-
Kanotix is wonderful! I have it now installed on my desktop and laptop. It already has most built-in wireless drivers installed and will work with from the cd with no effort. Check out http://kanotix.com/info/index.php to get it.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
The next Kanotix (due out soon) will have even more drivers reiser4 support and kernel 2.6.8.1. Please head on over to the Kanotix forums and post your requests. Additionally the next release of Kanotix will likely be done w/ squashfs instead of cloop. While this is not of great importance to the average user it will appeal to anyone interested in remastering as it not only compresses better (read more software) it also compresses faster.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The next Kanotix (due out soon) will have even more drivers reiser4 support and kernel 2.6.8.1.
I am not even through finishing to cleaning up the ungodly mess I made of BH7a with my upgrading to KDE 3.3. There is no keeping up with that guy
-
Senior Member
registered user
A major difference is that the kanotix forum is almost exclusively in German.
If you dont speak German then you are likely to miss 90% of the forum so basically your on your own.
(There is a English part to the forum its just not used much
)
For HD installs I always use kanotix ...
-
I downloaded Kanotic and tried it but it would not boot in 1280x1024 for my screen. It always booted in a lesser resolution no matter what I selected. Also the forums are mainly in German and this is a big disavantage. Given both these problems, I gave up.
My preferred distro so far is Mepis 2004-01. It is the only live CD which boots all my hardware out of the box. Also, it has better looking fonts than Knoppix so it really looks a treat. Unfortunately, Mepis doesn't include all the software included on Knoppix (e.g. ethereal, complete gcc, etc) so I am still waiting for Knoppix to match Mepis in hardware detection and aesthetics.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
gowator
A major difference is that the kanotix forum is almost exclusively in German.
If you dont speak German then you are likely to miss 90% of the forum so basically your on your own.
True much of the forum is in German but Kano is quite active in the English forum as well. Also he as well (as other knowledgeable individuals) can frequently be found in #kanotix.
-
followup
Thankx for all of your feedback, as usual I like this forum very much because the people are great and professional. I work for a security dept and always in the market for a good version of linux. Were gonna start testing kanotix and ill get back to you guys real soon with some info... Thankx much Bklynjames....
Similar Threads
-
By star in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-24-2006, 08:59 AM
-
By maxIT in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
-
By mzilikazi in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 02:04 AM
-
By CrashedAgain in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 01:43 AM
-
By mzilikazi in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH
$225.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚
$140.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP
$149.99

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH
$225.00

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40