Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: booting knoppix 3.6 from usb thumb drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13

    booting knoppix 3.6 from usb thumb drive

    I would like to boot Knoppix 3.6 from a 1GB USB thumb drive. I've been booting Damn Small Linux from a thumbdrive for some time, and can't wait to switch to a full Knoppix. The best instructions I can find on the net [1] are from Matthias Muller against an older Knoppix. The instructions are mainly about modifying the miniroot, which seems clear enough. I took everything they said about boot.img:/miniroot.gz and used it in boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz; taking care of USB modules and modifying linuxrc. However, the final instructions seem very 'syslinux' oriented, as opposed to 'isolinux' which Knoppix apparently uses now. Not being very familiar with either system, I'm not sure how to translate for Knoppix 3.6, or if that is even possible. Any hints or suggestions or pointers are stongly appreciated.

    [1] http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    It would seem that the first thing you need is a thumbdrive that can actually boot your computer. Mine (128M Memorex USB ThumbDrive) will not.

    (Apparently you can boot off a Lexar Jump Drive.)

    That said, there seem to be two approaches:
    You could also use DOS and fdisk (instructions here), then use LOADLIN. Although that approach makes me nervous. I'd want to make sure my hard drive was disconnected before I did anything to the USB key with DOS fdisk.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13
    Thanks. I'm pursuing under a different forum thread (someone
    is reporting good results, and I am trying to duplicate.) Maybe
    will come back to grub et. al. if that doesn't pan out.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12964

Similar Threads

  1. Install Knoppix on USB thumb drive
    By wildscribe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 01:52 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
  3. Can I repair my USB thumb drive with Knoppix?
    By MaldiGola in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
  4. Suggestions for USB thumb drive for knoppix/linux use
    By freeballer in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
  5. What about USB thumb drive
    By Jim Shoe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 02:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Cisco VoIP Phone CP-8851 with 8800 Key Expansion Modules picture

Cisco VoIP Phone CP-8851 with 8800 Key Expansion Modules

$69.00



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95