Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: After apt-get upgrade I have lost all program entries!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    After apt-get upgrade I have lost all program entries!



    After I have made an upgrade of LINUX I have lost all the program entries in the start menu!
    and apparently I have also lost most of the program assosiations, so it is quite diffucult to start any programs.

    It appears to be a problem with kde, when I start KDE control center the index is empty!

    I hope there is a simple way to correct this, it used to be Knoppix 3.2 now I don't know what it is.

    Please help

    PAKO

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Try the following: logoff from KDE, then on a console session (say Ctl-Alt-F1), rename your .kde directory: "mv .kde .kde.bkp". Then logon graphically (Ctl-Alt-F7, KDM). Hopefully KDE will re-create a working default profile for you.

    If this fails, I once had a similar problem which was fixed by the foillowing tip: http://www.mepis.org/node/view/1806#comment-6638

    Hope this helps,

    --bald

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2


    Sorry it didn't work for me, I did get a new menu but now i also lost the console assosiation!
    and all the programs are still missing.

    The other tip doesn't work either as I am not able to start the menu editor.

    Pako

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Check which KDE packages you've got installed (dpkg -l | grep -i kde |sort). It may be that the upgrade left you with a bare KDE setup, and you need to apt-get some additional parts (eg kmenuedit, kdm, kcontrol...)

Similar Threads

  1. Lost eth0 after apt-get upgrade
    By Gralfus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:00 PM
  2. Kicker menu entries
    By srowe in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 06:38 PM
  3. When do the /dev entries get generated?
    By mark_p in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 04:39 PM
  4. Newly remastered CD needs /dev entries?
    By hugo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 01:07 AM
  5. mouse lost after apt-get upgrade
    By ool in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99