When I run Knoppix live CD, and put the USB memory stick in than:
Kernel 2.4.27 recognize it and
Kernel 2.6.7 recognize the USB stick not.
How is this possible, I thought the newer the Kernel, the better.
greetings
Vincent
When I run Knoppix live CD, and put the USB memory stick in than:
Kernel 2.4.27 recognize it and
Kernel 2.6.7 recognize the USB stick not.
How is this possible, I thought the newer the Kernel, the better.
greetings
Vincent
That is funny. For in my case it is exactly the reverse. I can mount my USB Stick in 2.6 but not in 2.4 ! And it doesn't automount.
I have to make a dir
# mkdir /mnt/usb
#mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb
And even after this I have to open the USB hard disk as a root. But I am living with this as my Toshiba Sattelite HD controller has crashed and I jave no choice but to use Knoppix. The motherboard of Toshiba is not available where I live. i.e. Pune, India
By the way if you see the source code for these USB Hubs and drivers, you may realise the complexity and as the whole effort is by volunteers, they may not have sufficient testing facilities to test all releases for all types of hardware.
I guess that is why this forum comes in handy.

W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server
$135.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99
Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+
$13.99
BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00