-
Partitioning scheme for 2 distros on 1 hard disk
Hi all,
I'm very new to linux...been using it for about a month now...
I have 2 questions...I've tried looking for answers but still a bit unclear.
1) Say I want Knoppix and Suse on my second hard drive. Half for one and half for the other.
Before i do anything i know i must partition the drive...so, as a newb i do the following
hdb1 32M boot partition
hdb2 500M linux swap
hdb3 40G linux (for Suse root )
hdb4 40G linux (for Knoppix root)
Will this work and would an experienced linux user have done the same.
How can 2 distros share have common boot partition?
2) I've had konppix as a single installationa and my question is about apt-get...
i like nano editor so i figure I'll just do the following:
#apt-get install nano
I get an error message in german! so I can't even figure out what i'm doing wrong....I've checked my etc/apt/sources.list file that it has some mirrors in it.. I didn't add any mirrros I'm just going with default ones..
from everything i've read about apt-get....the above should work....
any help on the 2 questions is appreciated
cheers,
B
-
Junior Member
registered user
Your method for installing nano should work OK. I did exactly the same thing with no problems. Maybe check your sources.list. I recall there was a bad entry on a debian server that had to be fixed. Check the forum archives and you should find it. There are some ways to automatically update sources.list but I've not been able to get them to work.
Don't know anything about your partitioning question, sorry.
-
thanks hardware_bum...I'll look into sources.list
now, do you happen to know why my apt-get error messages are in german?
I installed knppix 3.6 just a week ago....is there a way to fix this?
ben
-
thanks hardware_bum...I'll look into sources.list
now, do you happen to know why my apt-get error messages are in german?
I installed knppix 3.6 just a week ago....is there a way to fix this?
ben
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
net_benjo
now, do you happen to know why my apt-get error messages are in german?
Check your LANG environment variable: "echo $LANG". It probably says DE_de. You can override it in /etc/environment. KDE has its own intl settings which you should also check (since all programs started from the GUI will inherit from it).
-
thanks, will try to do that.....
Similar Threads
-
By ferrel in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
-
By cjheeney in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 12:44 AM
-
By jc01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 03:02 AM
-
By JohnnyH in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:23 PM
-
By Darkworld in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig
$775.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco QSFP+ Module
$16127.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch
$69.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G
$75.00

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch
$39.99