Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: partitions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24

    partitions

    I want to install knoppix 3.6 on my Hard drive, but I don't know how to on Knoppix.
    I use to have windows 2000 on the HD but now when I boot windows it hangs while loading network connections. (it crashed before I had knoppix)

    How do I make a partition with ext3, if my old partition has NTFS. My hard drive is only 6GB

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    I haven't seen 3.6 yet, and there may now be a menu entry for the installer. But the following surely still works: open a "konsole" (terminal with shell icon on the toolbar), then type "sudo knx2hd". The installer should launch qtparted when you need to define your partitions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    I haven't seen 3.6 yet, and there may now be a menu entry for the installer. But the following surely still works: open a "konsole" (terminal with shell icon on the toolbar), then type "sudo knx2hd". The installer should launch qtparted when you need to define your partitions.
    Just type knoppix-installer

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24
    Ok I deleted my windows NTFS junk I made a new partition with ext3 and clicked the save button.. I now opened the root console and typed in "knoppix installer" When I get to the choose my partition I choose my only option "maxtor hard drive" or something like that (my HD is by maxtor) and then it gives me a error at the bottom of the screen. "fatal error something" and then another error "maxtor whatever is read only"
    then it just goes to the beguining and lets you do it again or exit (exit it just gets you back to the root console)

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24
    Okay I tried it again and this is what it really says.

    Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write

    and the next one says.

    FATAL ERROR: Cannot read disk drive Press any key to exit cfdisk

    Thats it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Posts
    14
    Use CTRL-ALT-F2 to switch to a superuser console.

    Make sure that none of your partitions are mounted (use the df command to see what is mounted) and that your swap space is turned off (swapoff).

    Then run the knoppix-installer script.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24
    I will make it bold, normal, bold, normal so you don't get confused.

    Okay when I did the DF command it said:
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mouted on
    /dev/root 3471 1108 2363 32% /
    /dev/hdc 716308 716308 0 100% /cdrom
    /dex/cloop 1943588 1943588 0 100% /KNOPPIX
    /ramdisk 149992 2012 147980 2% /ramdisk

    How do I turn off stuff, Is this okay?

    Okay here is what the swapoff command said
    usage: swapoff [-hV]
    swapoff -a [-v]
    swapoff [-v] special ...

    Is this okay, what does it mean?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    "swapon -s" will list active swapspace(s)
    "swapoff -a" will disable all swapspace(s)

    You could also boot with the noswap cheatcode.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    24
    I can never type any cheatcodes at the boot: thing because I have to write failsafe, otherwise If I don't it will crash while trying to find the cd drive. Is their a way to write 2 cheatcodes?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sure, just like this.
    boot: knoppix failsafe nopcmcia noagp
    that is just spcae betwen them, some might conflict with eachother but...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Partitions and such. Need help.
    By cyberstew in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 12:50 AM
  2. HD partitions....
    By javiergp in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 11:25 AM
  3. How can I tell how big my partitions are
    By KnopperX in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
  4. partitions???
    By knoppixnewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
  5. 6 partitions
    By Rython in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core picture

Dell R730 AI Home Lab Server 128GB RTX 3060 Ti Dual Xeon 20-Core

$999.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99