Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Boot Knoppix 3.6 from USB key - How To (Success!)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    I followed pbs's instructions, I see the main KNOPPIX boot screen (the one where we enter cheatcodes) but it is stuck there. I can not input anything; F2 and F3 doesn't work.
    I'm getting that too, but i followed the first set of instructions in this thread; i think it might be might be a 3.7 thing. I'm downloading 3.6 now, but i won't be able to finish it today.
    is it possible to do this whole preparation without burning CD?
    If you're in Linux, you can mount the .iso image as a filesystem, if you're in windows you can mount it with something like daemon tools (Google it).

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    When attempting to mount the miniroot's , remember to gunzip the .gz first before attempting to mount with -o loop.

    gunzip mini24.gz
    mount -o loop mini24 /mnt

    good luk

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    3
    maybe we can do some clear step by step info how to do that?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by NamShub
    I followed pbs's instructions, I see the main KNOPPIX boot screen (the one where we enter cheatcodes) but it is stuck there. I can not input anything; F2 and F3 doesn't work.

    I started with knoppix 3.7

    Any clues?
    Exact same problem. I had a success with Knoppix 3.6 using the instructions I posted earlier in this thread.
    No luck with 3.7 (using my instructions) or 3.8.1 (using pbs's instructions, minus the part about modifying minirt.gz)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13

    success, knoppix 3.8.1

    Quote Originally Posted by jbreiden
    Quote Originally Posted by NamShub
    I followed pbs's instructions, I see the main KNOPPIX boot screen (the one where we enter cheatcodes) but it is stuck there. I can not input anything; F2 and F3 doesn't work.

    I started with knoppix 3.7

    Any clues?
    Exact same problem. I had a success with Knoppix 3.6 using the instructions I posted earlier in this thread.
    No luck with 3.7 (using my instructions) or 3.8.1 (using pbs's instructions, minus the part about modifying minirt.gz)
    OK! Turns out I was using syslinux-3.0.7. Switching to syslinux-2.11 for the
    "./syslinux /dev/sda1" step, everything works. I don't know what's different
    between the two versions of syslinux (it isn't mbr.bin; that didn't change)
    but it makes the difference.

    This is on the 1Ghz EPIA MS motherboard from VIA, booting from
    the onboard compact flash drive. It's kind of slow (about one megabyte
    per second read speed) from the Kingston "Elite Pro" 1GB compact flash card.
    But there's no moving parts anywhere, so I'm happy.

    Final note: I skipped mucking about with minirt.gz and just use a cheatcode
    on the command line. Very simple.

    knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    3
    i recently bought a 1gb usb drive, and i want to make knoppix 3.8.1 on that usb..

    any points/tips would be really nice..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. AOL & Knoppix == success!!!
    By mabhatter in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
  3. Anyone had success with Knoppix and Madwifi?
    By MaldiGola in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
  4. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
  5. Knoppix running from RAM: SUCCESS!! kind of...
    By dvessey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01