-
Booting Knoppix 3.6 from USB quick overview
Well it's late and I wish I could do this in more detail, but this is the best
I can do for now. I also want to give credit to the other people who've
done this with previous versions because it was their info that helped me
come up with my method. This is just a draft, and with any version of
Unix, there are always many ways of reaching the same results.
=================================
First, partition your flash drive with fdisk and set the partition type to "6".
Next format it with "mkfs vfat"
Now mount your flash drive and copy the contents of your remastered
version of knoppix from your CD or ISO file so that will fit in the capacity of your USB flash drive.
"cd" to the /boot/isolinux directory and "mv" everything up to the root of
your flash drive and remove the whole "boot" directory.
"mv" the ISOlinux.bin and ISOlinux.cfg files to SYSlinux.bin and SYSlinux.cfg. (The 1st 3 letters are only capitalized for clarification).
Now this part I'm not certain about and need to verify what I did, but I
may have modified the "linuxrc" files in both the "minirt24.gz" and "minirt26.gz" files. The linuxrc file is slightly different than described in the link in my previous message, but I don't have time to verify any
changes I *might* have made.
Try them the way they are, they may work unmodified.
"umount" your flash drive.
Next you need to run SYSLINUX on your flash drive, *BUT* NOT the one
that is on the Knoppix 3.6 disto, you'll either need to update it OR
download a Windows/DOS version from:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/
and get version "syslinux-2.11.zip" for windows
You'll of course need to boot up windows to run the program.
This needs to be the last step I believe, because *I Think* it writes the
bootsector based on info from syslinux.cfg (I'm not sure).
The syntax would be "syslinux x:" where "x:" is the drive letter
windows sees your flash drive as.
I've had to change the 1st boot device in the BIOS to "USB ZIP",
it may be different for you.
I've only been able to test this so far on an VIA Epia Mii 10000.
A couple of times I've gotten to the point where the penguin shows
up in the top left (This is just before the "linuxrc" begins executing),
and got a "kernel panic" because it's unable to mount the root filesystem
and the system halted. I've rebooted and tried again and things started right up. I've also tried just typing "knoppix 5" at the boot prompt (which
is default anyway) and that seemed to give it whatever delay or encouragement to work also.
I hope this will be enough of a guide to help some of you continue
and maybe iron things out a little more by the time I return. At that
point I'll be happy to write a How To with explicit detail and directions
and add any improvements any of you may have.
Mike
Similar Threads
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By MaldiGola in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
-
By dvessey in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
-
By dvessey in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 14
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM
$169.99

(32GB x10) 320 GB Kingston PC4-2933Y DDR4 ECC Registered (Server)
$1600.00

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM
$99.99

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT
$9.99