-
Junior Member
registered user
USB Stick Mount Problem Still there
I am booting form a CD. My HD has crashed.
Have a Toshiba Satelite 1805-S274.
First I did not put the stick in USB and started Knoppix Kernal 2.4.26. It shows in the fstab file 4 entries(sda1, sda2,sda3,sda4):
#Added by Knoppix
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 auto noauto, users, exec 0, 0
This is after plugging in the Stick in the USB port. It shows Hard Disk Partition [sda1 thru sda4] on the desktop. But if I click on anyone it gives error Could not mount.Not a valid block device.
So subsequently
I logged in as root and did
#mkdir /mnt/flash
then when I type in
#mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
It gives error
#Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
I have tried mounting /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3 and even /dev/sda5. Nothing works.
If I tried to edit fstab file, and remove those entries.
It doesn't allow me to save it.
Second Try:
I have tried first putting the stick in USB and then booting.
Knoppix.
It syas in the beginning USB found, managed by Hotplug. Rescanning .. [001 002]
After the desktop comes up, It shows 4 partitions on the desktop
Hard Disk 1 thru 4 but no sign of Stick. If I clik on any of them it says
Step 1:
Could not mount device
Mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid Block drive
Step 2:
Have run Utilities, Tools, USB Viewer. After a long time it shows i the left panel:
USB OHCI Root Hub
... usb-storage
If I click on usb-storage it shows all the details of the
device including the correct size etc.
Which means it has recognised the USB stick
But it doesn't show it in the the 'fstab'
Step 3:
Now how do I mount it? What to do with these non-existing hard drives?
By the way I am a Professor of IT and have used in the past
SCO Xenix. But that was 10 years ago.
Thanks a million for your patience and help.
Similar Threads
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By MaldiGola in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
-
By dvessey in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
-
By dvessey in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 14
Last Post: 02-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer
$649.95

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1
$75.00

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99