Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help I'm stuck with Hard Drive install.....

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50

    Help I'm stuck with Hard Drive install.....

    Hi,

    I followed this http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...0/knoppix.html

    to get knoppix to run from hard drive with the hope of doing my own custom knoppix....

    but when I boot to knoppix (on hard disc) its looking for the CD-rom...

    Is this best way to go about it or is there a better way ??

    Thanks in Advance

    Mr Green

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Frankly I've never read a more complicated article about something that is really quite simple. It's all that GUI based business that's cluttering it up! BAH!

    Looks like you're trying to boot the compressed KNOPPIX image from hdd. Not sure if you realize this but that's a static file system you're trying to boot. No customization will be done there.

    Read this howto

    I think that's what you want. The difference being that you are now booting directly into your remastering environment. This is NOT a static file system because it is not compressed. You can add/remove apps, changes WM's etc. using apt as per normal. When you boot it will run the autodetection routines as normal.

    The long and short of it is. You will have Knoppix, it can be customized, it can be recompressed and burned to disc.

    You can find tips on tweaking and customizing your remaster to do what you want scattered throughout the remastering forum. Things change rapidly. I would probably avoid 10 month old articles on Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Hi .. Thanks for your help your right it is an old article (I'm old too lol)

    this is the bit that got me stumped...

    /sbin/losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img
    mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/floppy/ # changed this to /mnt/test which worked
    cp /mnt/floppy/* /mnt/hda1/boot # /mnt/test/* ???


    edit knoppix to the rescue managed to get vmlinuz & miniroot.gz onto HD (although not in /boot dir as I would have wanted

    Now running Knoppix from HD :P

    Did try tohd=/dev/hda1 but that did not work....

    knoppix-installer may have done the trick but I like to know whats going on (from terminal)

    Am I going have trouble setting up my own custom Knoppix

    Thanks again for your help

    MrGreen

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    right got 3.3 working Ok..

    Code:
    df -hT
    Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root     ext2    2.5M  1.8M  713K  72% /
    /dev/cdrom iso9660     37G  729M   35G   3% /cdrom
    /dev/cloop iso9660    1.9G  1.9G     0 100% /KNOPPIX
    /ramdisk     tmpfs    196M  5.8M  191M   3% /ramdisk
    Is this correct ?

    before I go loading up 3.6

    Mr Green

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Drive install
    By kamal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
  2. Getting More Help With a Hard Drive Install
    By brianfay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
  3. Fresh Install onto a hard drive
    By steingra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:04 PM
  4. Hard drive Install
    By Gregwithoneg in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 01:41 PM
  5. Hard Drive Install Experience
    By gabbman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2002, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple iMac G3 “Sorry, no beige.” Wristwatch – Two Original Bands picture

Vintage Apple iMac G3 “Sorry, no beige.” Wristwatch – Two Original Bands

$249.95



Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW picture

Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW

$1000.00



Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights picture

Vintage RaidMax Dirk-Tooth Smilodon Gaming Tower with Hardware-Green LED Lights

$199.00



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage 1988 Tandy 1000 SL SL/2 Audio / Reset I/O Board P/N 8709867 Rev D picture

Vintage 1988 Tandy 1000 SL SL/2 Audio / Reset I/O Board P/N 8709867 Rev D

$34.77



Microsoft TrackBall Optical Mouse Vintage 2002 USB PS/2 Red Ball D67-00001 picture

Microsoft TrackBall Optical Mouse Vintage 2002 USB PS/2 Red Ball D67-00001

$59.95



The Welch Briefcase | Vintage Leather Messenger Bag picture

The Welch Briefcase | Vintage Leather Messenger Bag

$204.00



VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE picture

VINTAGE Dell Dimension XPS D233-Pentium II-128MB Ram 13.5GB HDD Matrix GFx W98SE

$229.99



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 105CS Intel Pentium 16mB Ram Win 95 No Power Cords picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 105CS Intel Pentium 16mB Ram Win 95 No Power Cords

$299.99