The Internet->Remote Desktop Connection handles vnc protocol now. Just put in vnc:/server.nameOriginally Posted by SunnyB
ort in the pop up window. This has been part of the distribution since 3.4.
I got accustomed to using the VNC viewer in knoppix 3.4.
It was faster than the Remote Desktop connection app.
Now in knoppix 3.6 it is no longer there. In fact I can't find
a vnc viewer anywhere. Find does not reveal a vncviewer
that works.
Can somebody point me to it's location. If it was removed
from 3.6 what is the replacement application?
Thanks
The Internet->Remote Desktop Connection handles vnc protocol now. Just put in vnc:/server.nameOriginally Posted by SunnyB
ort in the pop up window. This has been part of the distribution since 3.4.
Yes, I know it is there but it is slow and sometimes unresponsive compared to the RealVNC viewer that was there also. Since my client uses an UltraVNC server the
RealVNC viewer just worked better.
nxserver/nxclient, i suppose. Thats a free version of the nomachine software. If you give them a spin please report back how you think they compare to vnc. See also this thread.Originally Posted by SunnyB
I have tried to use the NX client in knoppix 3.6 but it won't connect to the VNC server.
The server machine is seeing and accepting the connection but NX times out with
an error. Can't connect.
The setting are correct as far as I can tell.
The IP number is OK
The port is 5900
The connection type is VNC.
Still it doesn't work.
Maybe I will try to install the RealVNCviewer from an outside source.
Thanks anyway.
How do I start up a VNC server on the knoppix 3.6?
This solved the time out error on my nxclient, set ip on client :
ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx up
then run nxclient.
![]()
![]()
![]()

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95