Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD

    If this has been posted elsewhere, a link will do fine...


    Here's my trouble. I have Knoppix installed on my Hard drie. I was logged in as root and dig something stupid with my XF86Config-4 file and now I can't even logg onto an x-window. I know what I did, and if I could access the file it would be easy to fix, but when I boot with the CD version, I can access the file just fine but I can't save. I have allready set the permissions for the drive and unchecked "read only" but I still can't save the file. When I try to change the permissions for /etc all the options are greyed out. How can I fix this?? Is there a way to say when useing he knoppix CD or is there some editer I can use without an x-window?

    Please help. I don't want to reinstall again.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    bootup with:
    knoppix 2
    which will start up in console mode, (if you have vga problems here startup with knoppix 2 vga=normal) then at the root prompt the # use the following command:
    startx
    this will start up kde as root so you can edit your XF86Config-4 file.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    got it done, thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing Windows Files to delete them. Help
    By anton26 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
  2. hda: host protected area after Knoppix-3.3 ????
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:47 AM
  3. Accessing files in HOME directory?
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
  4. Accessing Windows Files
    By standmatt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM
  5. Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 04:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED picture

ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED

$250.00



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$39.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Carrying Case for My Arcade Atari Gamestation Go Retro Video Games Console,Stand picture

Carrying Case for My Arcade Atari Gamestation Go Retro Video Games Console,Stand

$48.51