Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD

    If this has been posted elsewhere, a link will do fine...


    Here's my trouble. I have Knoppix installed on my Hard drie. I was logged in as root and dig something stupid with my XF86Config-4 file and now I can't even logg onto an x-window. I know what I did, and if I could access the file it would be easy to fix, but when I boot with the CD version, I can access the file just fine but I can't save. I have allready set the permissions for the drive and unchecked "read only" but I still can't save the file. When I try to change the permissions for /etc all the options are greyed out. How can I fix this?? Is there a way to say when useing he knoppix CD or is there some editer I can use without an x-window?

    Please help. I don't want to reinstall again.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    bootup with:
    knoppix 2
    which will start up in console mode, (if you have vga problems here startup with knoppix 2 vga=normal) then at the root prompt the # use the following command:
    startx
    this will start up kde as root so you can edit your XF86Config-4 file.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    got it done, thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing Windows Files to delete them. Help
    By anton26 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
  2. hda: host protected area after Knoppix-3.3 ????
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:47 AM
  3. Accessing files in HOME directory?
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
  4. Accessing Windows Files
    By standmatt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM
  5. Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 04:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99