Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Accessing protected system files useing knoppix CD

    If this has been posted elsewhere, a link will do fine...


    Here's my trouble. I have Knoppix installed on my Hard drie. I was logged in as root and dig something stupid with my XF86Config-4 file and now I can't even logg onto an x-window. I know what I did, and if I could access the file it would be easy to fix, but when I boot with the CD version, I can access the file just fine but I can't save. I have allready set the permissions for the drive and unchecked "read only" but I still can't save the file. When I try to change the permissions for /etc all the options are greyed out. How can I fix this?? Is there a way to say when useing he knoppix CD or is there some editer I can use without an x-window?

    Please help. I don't want to reinstall again.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    bootup with:
    knoppix 2
    which will start up in console mode, (if you have vga problems here startup with knoppix 2 vga=normal) then at the root prompt the # use the following command:
    startx
    this will start up kde as root so you can edit your XF86Config-4 file.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    got it done, thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing Windows Files to delete them. Help
    By anton26 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
  2. hda: host protected area after Knoppix-3.3 ????
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 04:47 AM
  3. Accessing files in HOME directory?
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
  4. Accessing Windows Files
    By standmatt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:10 PM
  5. Help! Can't su knoppix in chrooted files system.
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 04:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE picture

KIOXIA KBG6AZNV512G 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD — TESTED & READY TO USE

$58.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00



Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp

$32.99