Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: cloning locally-- please help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    cloning locally-- please help

    To anyone whom may be able to help:

    I just recieved my replacement Maxtor drive, which will be replacing one that is failing evey few days. Reading through the faq did not answer my question, so I am posting it here.

    I have two drives installed on my system. One is brand-new and has not been used (not even formatted) while the other is my old Debian Linux drive. Both drives are of the same make and where produced by the same company. With my Knoppix v3.4 live cd running, how do I copy the old drive's image onto the new drive? My goal is to have an exact copy of the old drive, before it becomes un-usable.

    Please note that so far I have only found instructions on how to do this over a network, which is problematic, because I need to do this locally.

    Thank you for your time,
    -Xeoron

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    I found a solution so I thought I would share it. A friend suggested that I use this:

    cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb

    And to adjust for the correct device name.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    18
    You may want to try this instead. From a root shell type:

    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

    If you just use "cp" it will only copy over the data(I'm pretty sure anyway), if you use "dd" you will get an exact bit for bit copy of it, including your partition tables and everything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    dd will only work well if the disks are same size, and i would use cp -a /dev... that would preserve permisions... better.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I would mark all directories with mc, and copy (preserving attributes).
    Then I would modify lilo.conf, and rerun lilo for booting from the new drive.

    Assuming you have only one partition and use the lilo - bootloader.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    that would work. MC uses cp -a for that...

Similar Threads

  1. Cloning a hard disk
    By ferrel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  2. Disk Cloning?
    By eon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
  3. cloning HD using Knoppix
    By drjawn in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
  4. Networked disk cloning HOWTO?
    By MethodMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:25 PM
  5. Cloning a harddisk
    By Balaam in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



SKhynix 64GB DDR5 PC5-4800B SERVER Memory RAM   HMCG94MEBRA103N picture

SKhynix 64GB DDR5 PC5-4800B SERVER Memory RAM HMCG94MEBRA103N

$390.00



Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32 picture

Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32

$140.00



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99