Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Running Knoppix 3.6 from hard drive...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50

    Running Knoppix 3.6 from hard drive...

    Followed this guide to get Knoppix on to Hard Drive...

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...HDInstallHowTo

    copied over isolinux dir. to /boot on drive set up lilo (& run it )

    Will boot Ok. but then get Kernel panic...

    Wondered if 3.6 loads differently to 3.4 ... ???

    Would copying over isolinux work.. as before I had use loop device ??

    Mr Green

    Edit Compressed Image at block 0
    Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root / fs on ram3 ????

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    bump

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Are you actually wanting to remaster knoppix? If so you might look into this. If you just want a hard-drive install of knoppix you're making it far more difficult than it has to be by not using the knoppix-installer script.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Running Knoppix 3.6 form hard drive...

    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen
    Followed this guide to get Knoppix on to Hard Drive...

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...HDInstallHowTo

    copied over isolinux dir. to /boot on drive set up lilo (& run it )

    Will boot Ok. but then get Kernel panic...

    Wondered if 3.6 loads differently to 3.4 ... ???

    Would copying over isolinux work.. as before I had use loop device ??

    Mr Green

    Edit Compressed Image at block 0
    Kernel Panic VFS unable to mount root / fs on ram3 ????
    It sounds like you want to boot the compressed KNOPPIX image. If so, did you format your partition w/ either fat32 or ext2? I have never been able to get the compressed image to boot from ext3 or reiser partitions.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    I did format drive with ext3 .... worked with 3.3 ...

    I would like to try remastering ... sooo maybe look into knoppix-installer first

    Will apt-get work under a full install then ?

    thanks for your help

    MrGreen

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Oh, ok. If you wanna remaster then that's a different story. And a topic I know nothing about, so I'll leave it to others...maybe try mzilikazi's suggestion of using ext2 rather than ext3.

    Yes, you have full apt-get capability after installing with knoppix-installer...with the debian-like and beginner installs anyways. But I don't guess that'd do you any good for remastering.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Its Ok. I cannot make up my mind yet what to do... if you do a full install then is little need to remaster..

    I may as well use apt-get keep system up to date

    Will I be able to use ext3 ??? for full install

    Thanks again

    Mr Green

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Yes, ext3 is the default. Reiser is also an option. I would suggest you use the debian-like install.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Thanks you

    Mr Green

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    debian install via knoppix-installer no problem ... booting via lilo gave VFS Kernel Panic

    so tried boot disc worked perfectly .. now running from Hard Drive...

    Why it works from floppy & not lilo I do not know but I will try to figure out why

    Unless someone has had the same problem & maybe a solution ?

    Mr Green

Similar Threads

  1. Copy to CD running Knoppix from same CD drive
    By GotCoffee in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:53 AM
  2. Can't access hard drives when running knoppix
    By tony177 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 07:57 AM
  3. Running Knoppix on a hard drive connected to usb
    By ob_seven in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:04 AM
  4. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM
  5. Running WinXP/Knoppix off of same hard drive
    By Bluethunder in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00



Intel Core i7-11700K 3.60GHz 11th Gen CPU Processor MPN SRKNL X239G085 picture

Intel Core i7-11700K 3.60GHz 11th Gen CPU Processor MPN SRKNL X239G085

$140.00