Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: cfdisk crashes system

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Also if it were not necessary to wipe a drive from time to time then why do such tools exist? Commercially even! I see you agree on using windows tools for windows partitions.

    If you believe that reformatting a partition wipes away everything that was previously on that partition then you are sadly mistaken because it does not.
    I don't believe that reformatting a partition wipes it, and I don't believe in horoskops, the magic power of semi-precious stones, of cruzifixes and and antibacterial cleaning agents - commercially even!
    You may need to wipe data away, when you sell your old harddrive and keep your data secret.
    Contrawise! You see the tools don't wipe the data, so that's an indicator, that you don't need it.
    But if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

    I stoped using windows-tools for windows partitions, because my linux-tools work.

    sergioroa: Do you have SATA or RAID?
    I found a similar problem here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=201411

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    sergioroa: Do you have SATA or RAID?
    I found a similar problem here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=201411
    I do not have SATA or RAID. Only a standard IDE drive.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by sergioroa
    Of course! In fact, when I try to write the partition table using Knoppix, the system crashes. When I write the partition table using Gentoo, all goes well. I restart the computer using Gentoo and I see the partitions. Then, I restart the PC using Knoppix and I don't see anything.
    OK sorry but I wanted to be certain. Sure is a strange problem. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty Knoppix cd. Did you check the md5sum before burning it? How about using the testcd cheatcode? Personally I would try another version of Knoppix although I must say I have heard of no other problems like yours w/ any version of Knoppix.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    OK sorry but I wanted to be certain. Sure is a strange problem. The only thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty Knoppix cd. Did you check the md5sum before burning it? How about using the testcd cheatcode? Personally I would try another version of Knoppix although I must say I have heard of no other problems like yours w/ any version of Knoppix.
    Yes, but it is more strange because I use the same CD in other PCs, and those partition information is correctly shown. I am downloading Knoppix 3.6 now.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Posts
    9
    Finally, I have used Knoppix 3.6 Live CD and now the partitions are shown

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by sergioroa
    Finally, I have used Knoppix 3.6 Live CD and now the partitions are shown
    Well, now I have a clue about the problem. The partition configuration program QtParted shows the following message:

    Code:
    Partition table on /dev/hda is inconsistent. The most likely reason, among others, is that Linux detected the BIOS geometry for /dev/hda incorrectly. GNU Parted suspects the real geometry should be 1027/255/63 (not 16383/16/63). You should check your BIOS first. As this may not be correct, You can inform Linux by adding the parameter hda=1027,255,63 to the command line.
    I was a bit curious and I started the Knoppix CD 3.3 using this parameter at the LILO prompt without success. I have installed Knoppix 3.6 but now I have a kernel panic [/list]

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    I thought it depended on the bios-settings and told you so - but don't have a deeper knowledge to help you out.

    But why don't you use the live-cd to partition your drive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. 'pump -i ra0' crashes system
    By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:36 AM
  2. How Do I setup cfdisk
    By chain in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 03:47 PM
  3. cFdisk
    By Mogiin in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM
  4. Help with cfdisk
    By douglas2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 03:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08