-
Making Kismet configurable from within Knoppix
Hi there,
First of all a big thankyou to Klaus Knopper and colleagues for a great Linux live CD. I'm very impressed with it, and I make every attempt to give copies to my friends, to help convert them to Linux.
Another useful-looking piece of software is Kismet (http://www.kismetwireless.net) , which is a WiFi packet sniffer for Linux. To my surprise and delight I found that Kismet is included on the Knoppix CD, albeit that it doesn't have a menu option - you have to invoke it from the command line. So with Knoppix you can turn any laptop into a handy WiFi packet sniffing tool!
On Knoppix v3.3, Kismet worked straight 'out of the box' (when logged-in as root). However, on Knoppix v3.6 (which contains a later version of Kismet with some extra features I would like to use), Kismet doesn't work (for me). It turns out that on v3.3, the Kismet config file expects to see a Lucent/ Orinoco WiFi card (which I happen, by sheer luck, to have), whereas on Knoppix v3.6 it expects to see a Cisco WiFi card (which I don't have).
So to change between one card and another, it is necessary to modify the configuration file (kismet.conf). However, this is stored in the read-only Knoppix filesystem (i.e. on the CD), with a link at /etc/kismet/kismet.conf, which *is* writeable (on RAMDISK, I suppose). So the hack around this problem is either to copy the config file into the above directory (overwriting the link), or else to copy the config file to somewhere else, and to replace the link to the new target directory.
So perhaps to make Knoppix a little more configurable in the first place, it might be a good idea to put the Kismet config files directly in some writeable file system. This would probably be a good idea for other similar applications too. I understand that other considerations may mean that this isn't such a good idea. However, I just thought I'd make the suggestion, for what it's worth.
Cheers,
deeBs
-
Senior Member
registered user
My solution is to copy all configuration files to a self-made writable etc directory and having knoppix.sh copy the files inside that directory over the real /etc at each boot. This way, Knoppix is totally configurable.
-
I find this an interesting topic. The reason is that I can't get Kismet to run (from either hard disk nor CD). I am working on a Dell Latitude 610. I mean that it runs, but dies off because it can't set the monitor on the wifi card. This is passingly odd, since both cards (Orinoco Classic Gold PC and Linksys WPC11v3) work with Kismet on another Latitude 600 with Knoppix 3.4 installed (runninmg 2.4.x kernel)..
I have spent the day sofar trying to figure out the differences. I have never built a Linux kernel, much less patched a device driver. I don't really know what I did to get it running under 3.4. It didn't work at first, but after a while, and a few upgrades amd whatnot, it was working....
So, now even trying from the CD , both kernels, it still does not display the monitor ioctl with iwpriv. But I did notice the 13e driver in 2.6 and a 15rc?? in the 2.4 kernel. But no noticable capability differences..
BillS
Similar Threads
-
By bigmos in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 04:50 AM
-
By Haakneus in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-18-2004, 09:19 PM
-
By bljohnson in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By minhsao in forum The Lounge
Replies: 13
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:36 PM
-
By Dan000892 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM
$120.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00