Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Partitioning scheme for 2 distros on 1 hard disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7

    Partitioning scheme for 2 distros on 1 hard disk

    Hi all,

    I'm very new to linux...been using it for about a month now...

    I have 2 questions...I've tried looking for answers but still a bit unclear.

    1) Say I want Knoppix and Suse on my second hard drive. Half for one and half for the other.

    Before i do anything i know i must partition the drive...so, as a newb i do the following

    hdb1 32M boot partition
    hdb2 500M linux swap
    hdb3 40G linux (for Suse root )
    hdb4 40G linux (for Knoppix root)

    Will this work and would an experienced linux user have done the same.
    How can 2 distros share have common boot partition?

    2) I've had konppix as a single installationa and my question is about apt-get...

    i like nano editor so i figure I'll just do the following:

    #apt-get install nano

    I get an error message in german! so I can't even figure out what i'm doing wrong....I've checked my etc/apt/sources.list file that it has some mirrors in it.. I didn't add any mirrros I'm just going with default ones..

    from everything i've read about apt-get....the above should work....

    any help on the 2 questions is appreciated

    cheers,
    B

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    17
    Your method for installing nano should work OK. I did exactly the same thing with no problems. Maybe check your sources.list. I recall there was a bad entry on a debian server that had to be fixed. Check the forum archives and you should find it. There are some ways to automatically update sources.list but I've not been able to get them to work.

    Don't know anything about your partitioning question, sorry.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7
    thanks hardware_bum...I'll look into sources.list

    now, do you happen to know why my apt-get error messages are in german?

    I installed knppix 3.6 just a week ago....is there a way to fix this?

    ben

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7
    thanks hardware_bum...I'll look into sources.list

    now, do you happen to know why my apt-get error messages are in german?

    I installed knppix 3.6 just a week ago....is there a way to fix this?

    ben

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by net_benjo
    now, do you happen to know why my apt-get error messages are in german?
    Check your LANG environment variable: "echo $LANG". It probably says DE_de. You can override it in /etc/environment. KDE has its own intl settings which you should also check (since all programs started from the GUI will inherit from it).

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7
    thanks, will try to do that.....

Similar Threads

  1. Cloning a hard disk
    By ferrel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  2. Hard Disk Not Recognised
    By cjheeney in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 12:44 AM
  3. hard drive install with no partitioning
    By jc01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 03:02 AM
  4. 3rd IDE hard disk drive is not 'seen'
    By JohnnyH in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:23 PM
  5. MySQL and Hard Disk..
    By Darkworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


 150x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

150x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$286.75



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$99.00