Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Poor Man's Install hda1 Problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Poor Man's Install hda1 Problem

    I just did a poor man's install, and now it recognizes the hard drive as a cd rom. If I click the hda1 icon on the desktop, it opens file:/cdrom, and it has all the files, but I can't write to it. Also, I've found I'm unable to run the Poor Man's Install without loading the 2.6 Kernel. And I'd like to know how to save the configuration (backgrounds, icons, etc.). Please post if you have the answer to 1 or more of these problems.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: Poor Man's Install hda1 Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    I just did a poor man's install, and now it recognizes the hard drive as a cd rom. If I click the hda1 icon on the desktop, it opens file:/cdrom, and it has all the files, but I can't write to it
    A few questions:
    Does the desktop icon still say hda1?
    Is hda1 your only partition? What others do you have, and what file system in each?
    Is hda1 where you have Windows installed?
    Is your persistent home defined as the entire partition of hda1, or a file within hda1?
    Did you make hda1 writable?
    What do you see when you click the home icon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Also, I've found I'm unable to run the Poor Man's Install without loading the 2.6 Kernel.
    If you followed this howto, the example loads 2.6. If you want 2.4, just substitute "knoppix" for "knoppix26" when you type in the various cheatcodes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    And I'd like to know how to save the configuration (backgrounds, icons, etc.).
    That's just "save knoppix configuration" - click the penguin icon, then configure, and it's one of the choices.

    jd

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    One learns not to make absolute statements such as, "in this situation, Knoppix always does this," because often one gets proven wrong.

    So, in my experience, and I've done it a bunch of times, when you do a "fromhd" style poor man's install, Knoppix treats the partition you're loading it from as if it were a read-only CD-ROM. It's not a bug; it's a feature.

    Which is why it's much more satisfying to do a real hard disk install, if you can find the space on your hard drive.

    It shouldn't matter which kernel (2.4 or 2.6) you use. "fromhd" works with either.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    One learns not to make absolute statements such as, "in this situation, Knoppix always does this," because often one gets proven wrong.

    ...

    It shouldn't matter which kernel (2.4 or 2.6) you use. "fromhd" works with either.
    That's an absolute statement eco2geek!

    My experience on an NT machine with NTFS format disk drive is that fromhd does not work with it.

    Another poster said 'use bootfrom and kernel 2.6' and I found this works. He also said to use 2.4 you had to bootfrom the ISO, but as I do not have an ISO I cannot check that.

    You're absolutely right about making absolute statements. There are too many possible combinations out there and they don't all work!

    I was playing around with Dynebolic last week and I found it would not work with a mouse connected to the serial port but was fine with a PS2 mouse - ARGHH!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    A few questions:
    Does the desktop icon still say hda1?
    Is hda1 your only partition? What others do you have, and what file system in each?
    Is hda1 where you have Windows installed?
    Is your persistent home defined as the entire partition of hda1, or a file within hda1?
    Did you make hda1 writable?
    What do you see when you click the home icon?
    1. Yes. It still says hda1
    2. Yes. That is my only partition. It has an FAT32 filesystem.
    3. Yes. hda1 has Windows 98.
    4. No. My persistent home is a 30mb image within hda1.
    5. I don't know if I made hda1 writeable. How can I do that?
    6. When I click the home icon, I see the image I made, and any files I have saved to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by "eco2geek
    Knoppix treats the partition you're loading it from as if it were a read-only CD-ROM. It's not a bug; it's a feature.
    Right, but it doesn't help me write to my hard drive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I'm also curious if any of the emulators included with the 3.4 CD can make a windows modem driver work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    A few questions:
    Does the desktop icon still say hda1?
    Is hda1 your only partition? What others do you have, and what file system in each?
    Is hda1 where you have Windows installed?
    Is your persistent home defined as the entire partition of hda1, or a file within hda1?
    Did you make hda1 writable?
    What do you see when you click the home icon?
    1. Yes. It still says hda1
    2. Yes. That is my only partition. It has an FAT32 filesystem.
    3. Yes. hda1 has Windows 98.
    4. No. My persistent home is a 30mb image within hda1.
    5. I don't know if I made hda1 writeable. How can I do that?
    6. When I click the home icon, I see the image I made, and any files I have saved to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by "eco2geek
    Knoppix treats the partition you're loading it from as if it were a read-only CD-ROM. It's not a bug; it's a feature.
    Right, but it doesn't help me write to my hard drive.
    Sounds like all you need to do is make it writable. Right-click hda1 ->properties ->third tab -> uncheck "read only" ->OK . You may have to unmount and remount (right click ->unmount, then click to remount).

    One possible problem you may encounter with the single partition is that if you booted into Knoppix using the fromhd cheatcode, and the image is in hda1, knoppix may not allow it to be unmounted, because that's where the fs is running. So, you may need to boot without the fromhd cheatcode (but with your home and myconfig cheatcodes) before doing this. Make sure it's writable, then shut down & restart with all cheatcodes in place.

    hth

    jd

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Right, but it doesn't help me write to my hard drive.
    If you're running your "poor man's install" using the "fromhd=/dev/hda1" cheatcode, you can't write to hda1 after Knoppix is running. No amount of my or anyone else's help will tell you how to do so, because Knoppix currently doesn't work that way.

    How's that for an absolute statement? If anyone can give me explicit instructions for Knoppix 3.4, 3.5 or 3.6 that contradict that, I will be happy to send you a copy of the ISO-Top Knoppix 3.5 DVD.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG
    My experience on an NT machine with NTFS format disk drive is that fromhd does not work with it.
    I asked Fabian about that, and also looked at the boot scripts. Knoppix will allow "fromhd=/dev/hdxx" with the KNOPPIX image on FAT32, ext2, ext3 (and IIRC, ReiserFS) partitions, but not NTFS. (Its boot script is written so that it won't mount one. Which seems odd, since there is no apparent danger in mounting an NTFS partition read-only.)

    You can copy the Knoppix ISO onto an NTFS partition and use the "bootfrom=/dev/hdxx/path/to/knoppix.iso" cheatcode.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    If you're running your "poor man's install" using the "fromhd=/dev/hda1" cheatcode, you can't write to hda1 after Knoppix is running. No amount of my or anyone else's help will tell you how to do so, because Knoppix currently doesn't work that way.
    Someone was wrong, because I just saved a root ouput
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Sounds like all you need to do is make it writable. Right-click hda1 ->properties ->third tab -> uncheck "read only" ->OK . You may have to unmount and remount (right click ->unmount, then click to remount).
    Someone was right, because that worked

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    good tip from kowood on making the "poor man" repository drive writeable. i followed those steps (except couldn't perform a remount as it was busy) and it let me have root write access. I'll fool with permissions when it is not mounted, but I have a hunch that

    chown knoppix.knoppix .
    and
    chown knoppix.knoppix ..

    at the root of the "poor man" repository drive while it is not is use should do it.

    Also, I have discovered that if i put a persistant home (knoppix.img) in my "poor man" repository drive and mount it with the home=/dev/hdxx/ switch, the partition is also rewriteable. However, I don't always use my persistent home, so this is much better.

    Thanks,

    ~pau1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Poor Man's DVD Install
    By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
  2. Floppy for Poor Man's Install?
    By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
  3. my poor man's install setup
    By probono in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:34 PM
  4. How To boot without CD after Poor Man's Install
    By prehis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT801 Answering Machine VoIP Home Phone Adapter Ethernet Black picture

Grandstream HT801 Answering Machine VoIP Home Phone Adapter Ethernet Black

$29.99



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99