-
Installing Knoppix 3.6 on ancient system problem.
Hello,
I want to use knoppix on my computer, unfortunately it cannot boot from CD-Rom since the board is ancient and I only have a SCSI DVD-ROM which is connected to a SCSI controller that has no Boot EEPROM.
So I tried out the floppy disk method, unfortunately it does not boot corretly (after inserting the second floppy and loading the root-fs there appear errors "... access beyond end of device ..." and the system hangs). The important thing is that the kernel24 on the bootfloppy is booting the system.
So I said "hey why not boot the whole thing from hd". I don't want a complete knoppix installation, I just want to 'fake' the cdrom version on hard disk, i.e. boot the compressed image from hard disk but work as if it booted from CDROM. I followed instructions from http://www.yak.net/fqa/347.html, but couldn't make it work. I'm using lilo and the linux24 image, and after reading the kernel image the computer hangs. Reading the kernel means before anything happens, it crashes right after the "Loading kernel ...................." text line (maybe spelled differently). No console, penguin or anything 
So I'm stuck. Is there a way to install KNOPPIX so that it boots from a compressed image as if it booted from CD-ROM? That would be really nice since my hard disk partition is only about 1.5 Gig -- not enough for a real installation. And remember, I can't boot the CD on my old machine, and the only other computer I own is a laptop -- which has no floppy disk drive, so I can't boot knoppix on the laptop and write boot floppies
(I did my floppies by reading the mkbootfloppy script and repeat procedures by hand on my old computer).
H.
Similar Threads
-
By unisis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:32 AM
-
By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
-
By fingers99 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2004, 03:33 PM
-
By adyga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:15 PM
-
By jimcp in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730
$55.00

Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)
$22.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570
$389.00