icons are created by
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
Where/when are hdd icons for the KDE desktop created? Which script?
Edit I think I found it on knoppix's source page.
I already located scanpartitions and reubuildfstab for getting the /etc/fstab built nicely.
What else is critical for hardware autodetection?
So far my list is
1) knoppix-autoconfig
2) rebuildfstab & scanpartitions & /etc/filesystems
3) alsa-autoconfig
4) hotplug-knoppix
5) mkxf86config (anyone know if this works on xfree 4.4?)
6) xsession & mkdesktophdicons
icons are created by
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
I wonder how much of the knoppix scripts depedn on debconf....
I'm trying to adapt this stuff for another distro.

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49