Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Using Knoppix for Recovery and the iPod...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2

    Using Knoppix for Recovery and the iPod...

    My computer recentely crashed and refused to boot windows. I had to do a reinstall using home as appose to Pro ( Don't ask why... ).

    My slave disk wouldn't recognise in XP Home, and someone recommended Knoppix, as it could read XP Pro created dynamic disks. Well it works fine

    I couldn't manage to copy across from the slave to the primary, not sure why, I think It's because you can't write to NTFS though Knoppix. That wasn't really a problem, as I made a CD of all the important files I had on there, and subsequently put them onto my primary drive though windows.

    The main problem I'm having is thinking of a way to transfer the 30 gigs or so of music I have on there... I have no DVD Burner, so making 40 or so CD's seems a little extravagant...(I could just use one CDRW 40 times, but still the process would take forever.)

    I just recentely bought a iPod, and annoyingly enough my PC crashed before I could get the music onto it. So My question is, can I use my iPod as removable storage thorugh Knoppix using USB? It didn't seem to be mounted on the desktop ( Like I hoped it would) when i started it up with it connected. Is there any way I can make it recognise the iPod?

    Oh and any general ideas/insults about what I'm doing wrong or If I'm going about it the wrong way would be great!

    Thanks

    Patrick


    EDIT:


    My Specs are

    AMD 2400+
    1 Gig of PC2100
    Samsung CDrw/DVD Combo Drive
    1x 20 gig Maxtor HDD (primary)
    1x 80 gig WD HDD (Slave)

    My thoughts are, once I have all my music on my ipod, I can reformat the drive and put the music from the iPOd back on to the newly formatted drive.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    8
    There was another post similar to this a few days back which I found for you that you might want to read. It pertained to cloning an entire HD locally, but it should be able to be used for just a directory or just a file. Read about it http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=local%2A there. I think you can change the hda to hda/somedirectory/somesubdir/someothersubdir/so.on. And copy from one to the other. Anyway hope this helps. If not good luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2
    thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't understand the knoppix interface at all, so I wouldn't know how to do that... I guess I should read the faq..

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    8
    Generally it is better to not mess with things if you don't know how to do them. I would suggest that even if you do learn how to use the technique I posted you first make some really nice backups of all your essensial data on your main HD.

Similar Threads

  1. iPod mini with Knoppix
    By jan4 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
  2. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
  3. bootable knoppix Ipod photo
    By hampton275 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 06:27 PM
  4. Knoppix on iPod?
    By jb_davis in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 02:31 PM
  5. System recovery with Knoppix
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99